Each year, my mother and I bake holiday cookies to give as gifts to our friends and coworkers. Each year we try new holiday cookie recipes because there are so many out there. This year I will be feature 12 Christmas cookie recipes here at Formula Mom. Every other day, I will share a new recipe that we are considering for this years cookies as part of…
The 12 Cookies of Christmas
Our cookies have to be fairly sturdy and have to hold up well because we package them in bags or boxes and take them to work. So that is always something we have to consider. We also have to consider that we like variety but we have to make a lot of cookies so they cannot be extremely complicated. The last thing we have to consider is the flavors and even though we don’t want anything too complicated we do like a cute factor if we can have one!
One of my favorite holiday cookies are gumdrop cookies but most of the recipes I find are for drop cookies and that is not how my grandmother made them. So many holiday memories include my grandmother’s gumdrop cookies which she baked in a pan and then cut into squares.
12 Cookies of Christmas, Day 1: Gumdrop Cookies
What you need:
2 cups flour, all-purpose
1 cup gumdrops, finely chopped (6 oz) take out the black ones!
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
4 each eggs
1 tablespoon water
2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Orange Juice
What you do:
- Preheat the over to 375 degrees.
- Mix gumdrops, flour and nuts, set aside.
- Beat eggs with water until foamy.
- Gradually add brown sugar, beating until light.
- Beat in cinnamon and salt, then stir in the gumdrop mixture.
- Spread evenly in a greased 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 375 till done for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Spread with orange icing while still warm. To make the icing mix 3 tbsp butter, melted, 2 tbsp orange juice and powdered sugar. It will be thin, almost like a glaze.
- Cut into 36 bars when cool.
Do you have a favorite christmas cookie recipe? I would love to have some new recipes to try this year if you have a great one!
Be sure to come back on Saturday for the next 12 Cookies of Christmas recipe! You can also check out all of the 12 Cookies of Christmas cookie recipes.