Before the release of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story in December, I had the chance to interview Disney XD’s Star Wars Rebels Executive Producer Dave Filoni as part of my sponsored #RogueOneEvent press trip. Check out what I learned about how the show contributes to the Star Wars franchise (and how there is a tie in to Rogue One)!
5 Ways Star Wars Rebels Brings Star Wars to a New Generation
Our interview started out with a screening of some of the newest episodes of Star Wars Rebels (that tie in with Rogue One) and I have to admit that I’d only seen commercials for the show.
If you haven’t seen the show on Disney XD, Star Wars Rebels fills the gap between Episode III and Episode IV. While Imperial forces are ruling with an iron fist, there’s a clever crew aboard the starship Ghost who takes a stand against the Empire. It’s a show of new rebels, villians, and adversaries!
Although I’d never seen a full episode, it only took a minute or two to be completely pulled into the storyline of the episodes we screened!
Dave Filoni summed up why during our interview when he spoke about how it’s all one big story. When he’s working on the show, he doesn’t think of it as a separate piece. It’s all part of the same story and the same universe.
My experience proved him right. If you’re a fan of the Star Wars world, I think you’ll enjoy watching Star Wars Rebels on Disney XD.
So what’s the big deal about Star Wars Rebels and why is good for the whole family?
- Adding characters like the ones in the show gives the franchise more dimension. Dave Filoni likes tie ins but more when it’s just like a little wink and not anything that was missing before it happened.
- Relationships between the show and the films in particular are what this mom loved too. It’s fun to see a character like Saw Gerrera from Rogue One appear, complete with the voice of Forest Whitaker! This makes it intriguing for me as an adult. And yep, that’s just one connection between the film and the show! Watch both carefully for more!
- Filoni strives to make stuff for his younger self that his current self also enjoys. These makes the show interesting for both kids and adults. Star Wars is a bonding point.
- Dave Filoni has the experience to create the show. He called his work with George Lucas, “the greatest education I could have in what I do.” And he strives to stay true to George Lucas’ vision when making Star Wars Rebels.
- Families can watch the show together. Yes, there are dark times in the show but as Dave Filoni told us — there is darkness, just as in fairy tales, so there can be light. It’s about balance.
Oh and one more thing — it’s a great place for actors to continue on with their Star Wars characters in a different way! Dave let us know that “when we say the character’s gonna continue, they would absolutely like to continue being the character. They don’t really care what form it’s in.” It’s the way we get to see some big name actors appearing on a great show like Star Wars Rebels!
If you want to see some Rogue One connections on the smaller screen, be sure to check out Star Wars Rebels Season 3 Mid-Season Trailer!
Are you intrigued now? Catch Star Wars Rebels episodes on Disney XD every Saturday at 8:30 ET/7:30 CT!
You can also connect with the show on social media!
- Like STAR WARS REBELS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/starwarsrebels
- Follow DISNEY CHANNEL PR on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DisneyChannelPR
- Follow STAR WARS REBELS on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/starwarsrebels/
- Visit the official STAR WARS REBELS website: http://disneyxd.disney.com/star-wars-rebels
And get caught up on the first two seasons (or just add to your amazing Star Wars DVD collection!):