Disney’s 101 Dalmatians is now available for the First Time on Digital HD, Blu-ray™ Combo Pack, Disney Movies Anywhere and On-Demand! And a few months ago I had the amazing opportunity to go behind the scenes of this Disney classic with Disney Legend animator Floyd Norman!
Behind the Scenes of 101 Dalmatians with Animator Floyd Norman
It seems like Disney has always been known for groundbreaking advances in animation and movie making. 101 Dalmatians is no exception and I was blown away to learn a secret that saved Walt Disney Animation Studios!
I felt so lucky to have the chance to spend some time with Disney animator Floyd Norman and learn some of the stories behind working for Walt Disney and working on 101 Dalmatians.
So what fun facts did I learn?
- 101 Dalmatians was the first time that Xerox was used in animation. It was used to duplicate the puppies.
- This advance in technology led to it only taking half the animators and less time to create 101 Dalmatians that it took to complete Sleeping Beauty.
- 101 Dalmatians is one of the top grossing animated films to come out of Walt Disney Studios and it’s possible it saved the studio!
If you don’t know who Floyd Norman is, you probably know his work! Here are some of my favorite facts about this amazing artist:
- He attended the Art Center in Pasadena, California and was hired at Walt Disney Studios not long after he graduated.
- He has worked on well-known Disney classics including Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians, and The Jungle Book.
- In 1997, he moved to Pixar and worked on some of my favorite movies including Toy Story 2 and Monsters, Inc.
- Although he tried to retire, he didn’t stay in retirement for long before returning to work and currently works at Walt Disney Studios.
And yes in just a few minutes he whipped up a little sketch of one of my favorite dogs, Pongo! Once you’ve got it, you don’t lose that talent.
So the question is, do you have that kind of talent?
Learning to Draw Mickey with a Disney Animator
Yep, that little sketch of Pongo led to the exciting (or terrifying) announcement that we were going to learn to draw with Floyd Norman.
But I grabbed my pencil and was ready to take on the challenge. He assured me it was simple to draw Mickey!
And he was correct! Mickey is really all about the circles and Floyd Norman is a great teacher!
My Mickey is (in progress) on the right. I think I was on the right track for sure!
I’m not sure I’ll be trying to draw Pongo any time soon though! I’ll just stick to watch 101 Dalmatians with my kids! And you can get your 101 Dalmatians Diamond Edition on Amazon or at your local store!