Dog Oral Care
Yes, you read that right. I’m not talking toddler teeth today. I have dogs on the brain and dog oral care is definitely something important to me. Why? Because dog breath is nasty! Seriously, when a dog comes up and pants in my face with dog breath. EW!
Although my life generally revolves around my little man, before he was born I had to other little guys in my life. Toby and Murray are my fur babies. Murray was the man in my life before I met J. And Toby was our first child together. Yes, they were my babies first but now they have to share the love with W.
They’re hanging in there. Although they might not get quite as much snuggle time, we make a point to make sure they are healthy and happy. We even have doggy health insurance on Murray as he’s getting older and has had more vet needs recently. While our vet has plenty of dog dental care tips for us, we have handled most of the dental care at home.
Many years ago we adopted a dog who had severe oral health issues. She was the sweetest little pug but her teeth were a mess. Seeing the pain she dealt with as a result made me vow to always do what I could for our future pets. So I am always on the hunt to find ways to help take care of our dogs teeth.
And it’s not always easy. My toddler doesn’t love brushing his teeth and neither do my dogs! What is that all about?
Our Secret to Doggy Oral Health
I have tried to brush Toby and Murray’s teeth many times in the past. I’ll admit that I’m never successful. It ends up being a comedy of errors where I chase dogs around the house trying to fool them into letting my clean their teeth. It’s definitely kind of like trying to brush a toddler’s teeth. I guess I’ve been practicing for quite a few years. But I still haven’t perfected it yet!
But with the dogs, J discovered something that worked great for Toby soon after we got him. Dentastix. Have you ever tried them? If not, I suggest that you pick up a bag next time you’re out shopping. They are Toby’s favorite treat and we have seen huge improvements in the health of his teeth when we use them.
I will admit that I didn’t know exactly why they worked so well. But based on the results, we were more than happy to keep using them. There is a reason that Dentastix are clinically proven to reduce up to 80% of tartar buildup when used as part of a daily dental health routine. They have a patented X-shape and a special texture that helps clean between teeth and down to the gum line.
What else do we do to keep our dogs’ mouths happy?
3 Dog Oral Care Tips
- Develop a daily oral health routine. Like with kids, figure out a routine that works well for you and your family. Then stick with it! Once we developed a routine, we say improvements very quickly! You just have to figure out what works for your family and your pets.
- Get regular professional care. If you can afford a professional cleaning, it’s definitely a great thing to do for your dog. But regular visits to the vet to get your dog’s teeth checked is a wonderful habit to develop. We have gotten a lot better about this and have been able to catch little problems before they turn into larger ones.
- Dental care treats. Offering Toby and Murray treats like Dentastix has been one of the best additions to our daily oral health routine. I love that they are great for dogs of all sizes because they come in different sizes. And they are so easy! I’m all about easy so we always have a bag in our pantry for our fur babies!
How Do You Care for Your Dog’s Teeth?
So how do you help maintain your dog’s oral health? Do you do any of the dog oral care things we do? Maybe teeth brushing is easier at your house than at ours! Or maybe you love a certain treat because it’s so easy to use!
Tell me about your oral health routine for your pets and you will have the chance to win a $100 gift card! The giveaway ends at 11:59pm EST on February 14, 2013. To enter, all you have to do is answer the question below!
How do you maintain your pet’s oral health?
After you have completed the mandatory entry, you are eligible for additional entries. Make sure you leave a separate comment for EACH entry. Each counts as one extra entry unless noted otherwise.
- Like Formula Mom on Facebook
- Follow @formulamom on Twitter (leave username in comment)
- Follow Formula Mom on Pinterest (leave username in comment)
- Subscribe to Formula Mom via email.
- Leave a relevant comment on a non-giveaway post on Formula Mom. (Up to 2 per day, leave name of post in comment.)
- Tweet this message (click here) and leave link: (can do once per day) Learn some easy dog dental care tips with Dentastix & @formulamom and enter to win $100 GC! http://bit.ly/VGcqes
Limited to US residents, aged 18 and up. Upon completion of the giveaway, one winner will be picked via Random.org from the comments below. Winners will be contacted via email and given 48 hours to confirm win. By entering you are giving me permission to send your contact info to the sponsor for shipping purposes. Formula Mom is not responsible for prize fulfillment. Please allow up to 9 weeks for delivery. This giveaway is not associated with Facebook or Twitter. Void where prohibited by law.
Formula Mom Disclosure: This is a sponsored post on behalf of Dentastix. I was compensated to facilitate this post. However all experiences and opinions are 100% my own.