Disney provided me with a trip to LA in exchange for coverage of new films and television shows, including Downward Dog on ABC. One of my favorite things about partnering with Disney and ABC is that I often get to experience new shows before they premiere (and find out that I love them!)
5 Reasons You Should Watch Downward Dog on ABC
While in LA to cover the world premiere of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, I also had the chance to screen the first two episodes of the new ABC show Downward Dog and chat with stars of the show, Allison Tolman and Samm Hodges.
You may recognize Allison Tolman from the FX television series Fargo (which Justin and Grambo love), but now you’ll be able to catch her as Nan every Tuesday night at 8pm ET on ABC!
Samm Hodges is the Co-Creator and Executive Producer of Downward Dog on ABC. He also stars in the show but you probably won’t recognize him because he is the voice of “Martin,” the dog! Together they bring this amazing new show to life.
About Downward Dog on ABC
Downward Dog follows Martin, a lonely dog, as he works to figure out his relationship with his owner, Nan. The show is told through the eyes of a dog. Based on some web shorts that were more of a dog’s view of his own life, Samm Hodges shifted the focus more to the relationship between pet and owner for the television series.
The show definitely has a bit of an indie vibe and Sam Hodges shared with us that he asked himself what an Amazon or Netflix type show would look like for a network like ABC.
This is not your typical talking dog show or movie. It’s something completely different. It’s powerful. Personally, I love the style of the show and was pleasantly surprised by the first two episodes. My DVR is set and ready for to record the season of Downward Dog on ABC.
5 Reasons to Watch Downward Dog
If an adorable dog isn’t enough reason to check out Downward Dog on ABC, our interview with Allison Tolman and Samm Hodges gave a few more reasons to add it to your new favorite TV shows:
- As a pet owner, it’s easy to relate to the show. Loving an animal is a very transformative power. It’s a power that Allison Tolman says has changed her life. That is one of the strongest messages in Downward Dog. We see Martin explore what his relationship with Nan means to him. In turn, we just how much he impacts her life.
- The show also asks some questions that are relevant to all of us (whether we’re pet owners or not). One of the biggest themes of the show is “Do I matter?” and that’s a question I think most of us ask ourselves often. Samm Hodges pointed out that watching a mutt in a backyard in Pittsburgh ponder the same question could mean a lot. If he matters, we all matter.
- Back to the dog — he’s amazing. Martin’s real name is Ned. He is from a shelter in Chicago. It was important to Samm Hodges for the dog to just “be a regular kind of dog.” I love that they got a shelter dog. What a life change for adorable Ned!
- On the show, they only put Ned into very natural situations. Because he’s not a polished, extremely well-trained dog, there are often really real moments that happen during filming. Many of them end up in the show!
- The show has lines about unconditional love that will just get you, including these:
- “What if I could see myself the way my dog sees me?” – Nan
- “I literally can’t quit her.” -Martin
Downward Dog on ABC is a show about what it means to be a human being in the 21st century. It will make you look at relationships with fresh eyes, perhaps the eyes of your dog.
The show will premiere in a special sneak peek episode airing Wednesday, May 17th at 9:30pm ET on ABC. In “Pilot,” Martin battles loneliness and the need for Nan’s unconditional attention, while she struggles with a breakup and Martin’s recent bad behavior as he reacts to her newly busy work schedule.
After the special airing of the premiere, Downward Dog will air at its regular time on ABC. So tune in on Tuesday nights on ABC at 8:00pm ET.
Learn more about Downward Dog on ABC, get connected!
- Website: abc.go.com/shows/downward-dog
- Facebook: facebook.com/DownwardDogABC/
- Twitter: twitter.com/DownwardDog_ABC (#DownwardDog)
- Instagram: instagram.com/downwarddog_abc/