When it comes to breakfast, my kids will only eat a few things. They like scrambled eggs, french toast sticks, and mini waffles. I wanted to do something fun for breakfast recently but didn’t think the kids would eat orange waffles if I tried to turn them into pumpkins. But there are still a lot of fun fall breakfast ideas that aren’t quite as complicated as turning waffles into little pumpkins. And these waffle acorns are one of them!
Fall Breakfast Ideas: Acorn Waffles
This is one of the easiest fall breakfast ideas I’ve tried! You can see that it works best with mini waffles but you could easily adjust it to use larger waffles too if you wanted to give it a try! I’ve included affiliate links in case you need to buy any of the ingredients!
What You Need:
- 1/2 cup Wilton chocolate melts (or you can use chocolate chips)
- 12 mini waffles
- 6 Tootsie Rolls (midgees)
- Sprinkles in fall colors
- Parchment paper or wax paper
What You Do:
- Toast your mini waffles in the toaster or toaster oven. Then let them cool completely on a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Use a knife to cut the Tootsie Rolls in half, lengthwise.
- Microwave the chocolate melts or chocolate chips for 35 seconds in a microwave safe bowl. Stir until melted. If needed, you can microwave the chocolate in additional 10 second increments and stir until completely melted.
- Dip the upper portion of the waffle into the melted chocolate and make sure to cover both sides. Let the excess chocolate drip off.
- Sprinkle your fall sprinkles over the melted chocolate except for at the very top.
- Press a piece of Tootsie Roll into the chocolate at the top of the waffle.
- Set the waffle down on the parchment lined baking sheet and let chocolate cool completely so it sets.