Weston loves to play with play dough. It’s a great hands on activity for him but now that we’re into essential oils, we wanted to make something using out oils. And something a little different. So we put together this Grapefruit Moon Dough recipe for him to try!
Grapefruit Moon Dough Recipe
So what is moon dough? If you’ve never played with it before it’s for molding and creating but is different from play dough. The texture is different. It’s almost like marshmallows but not sticky. It’s definitely fun to play with though it’s not like play dough at all. It crumbles more but is a great sensory experience for younger kids.
For this recipe we used Grapefruit Essential Oil because it’s one of our current favorites. The scent is so uplifting. It makes this a great activity to do with the kids on a rainy day.
What You Need:
- 4 cups of white flour
- ½ cup of baby oil
- 5-7 drops of Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Mixing Bowl
- Red and yellow food coloring, optional
What You Do:
- Add the 4 cups of flour and ½ cup of baby oil to a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add 3-4 drops each of the red and yellow food coloring. Then, add the 5-7 drops of grapefruit oil. Knead the dough so the color disperses.
- Take the mixture into your hands and knead it. The heat from your hands will help form and soften it into shape.
- To use your moon dough, just form the dough in your hand or molds to make a variety of shapes. If the dough is still too crumbly, add a few drops of baby oil at a time until it is the consistency you wish.
Be sure to store your moon dough in an air tight container when not in use and it should stay fresh for weeks. Should it loose its consistency, just add a few more drops of baby oil and mix until softened again.
The great thing about this moon dough recipe is that you can make it with any essential oils that you would like. Lavender would be great for a moon dough that is more calming. Orange can even be used if you like the citrus scents because it has a calming effect on many children.
So try it with different essential oils and see which ones are your kids favorites! Weston actually like when I use Stress Away in this moon dough!
Tell me which essential oil you would use in your moon dough!
Speaking of essential oils, we have some special things going on right now if you’re interested in signing up with Young Living! You will not only receive your own discounted prices on products, but some educational bonuses from us as well! Learn more here.