So Weston has pretty much given up on regular naps which means that I’m on a mission to keep him busy while his sister naps each day. He’s a very busy kid so hands-on activities are the best for him. He loves a good sensory experience and recently he had a blast playing with our homemade marshmallow playdough!
How to Make Marshmallow Playdough
I love how easy marshmallow playdough is to make! It has simple ingredients that are safe for kids. So you don’t have to worry about when the playdough ends up in their mouth. And it does end up in their mouth!
What You Need:
- 15 Large Marshmallows
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup of Cornstarch or Flour (you may need more depending on your desired consistency
- food coloring
- Essential oils of your choice (optional)
You can adjust this recipe depending on the amount of marshmallow playdough you want to make!
What You Do:
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the essential oil together in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until you see the marshmallows expand.
- Remove the bowl carefully and stir the ingredients with a spoon to combine them as much as you can.
- Add a drop or two of essential oil, if desired, and continue to mix.
- Once the mixture is cooled enough, sprinkle cornstarch on your hands and then use your hands to finish mixing the playdough together.
If your dough is still too sticky, just add a bit more cornstarch and work it into the dough.
I love the flexibility of this marshmallow playdough. We can make it any color we want. And with out essential oils we can also make it smell different too! This time I used a drop of Stress Away to make what I hoped would be a more calming playdough for Weston!
With a simple ingredient list, you can keep your pantry stocked to make this marshmallow playdough anytime! It’s great for summer and also for rainy days. So it’s pretty much good any time you need to keep your kids busy!