Pretzel Dogs Recipe
Pigs in a blanket are done a lot. I’ve done them more than a few times. We enjoy them a lot actually. I think I might like them better than having a hot dog in a bun. But I might also be addicted to crescent roll and breadstick dough. So when Krista from Everyday Mom’s Meals told me I could make pigs in a blanket even better with this pretzel dogs recipe, I was thrilled!
J loves soft pretzels so I knew I had to try making my own. Add in the hot dogs and I have the beginnings of a very easy meal idea. I love it! I think my family will too!
Homemade Pretzel Dogs
What you need for Pretzel Dogs:
- 1 can (12 ct) refrigerated bread stick dough
- 1 (8 ct) package hot dogs
- 3 TBS baking soda
- Sea Salt
What you do:
- Heat oven to 400. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Once boiling, add hot dogs and boil for 3 minutes.
- While cooking open and separate bread sticks. (You will have 4 extra – just twist and place on baking sheet to make bread sticks.)
- Once hot dogs are cooked, allow to cool enough to handle.
- Carefully ladle out 1 cup of boiling water into a bowl big enough to fit hot dogs.
- Add baking soda and stir until dissolved.
- Wrap each hot dog with one bread stick, twisting it around. Leave a 1 inch space at each end.
- When hot dogs are wrapped, carefully dip each into water mixture being sure to cover.
- Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes, checking after 5. Bake until browned on top, but watch carefully because can easily burn.
- Serve with spicy ketchup on the side.