One of our favorite things about our neighborhood is that we have a recycling program in place. Once a week, the big recycling truck comes and picks up our bin. It’s a great way to teach the kids about recycling as part of our everyday lives. But even if you don’t have a program in place, recycling for kids is easy to teach with some of these fun projects!
Recycling for Kids Made Easy
Recycling is an easy thing to do but it can have a huge impact on life outside of our homes and schools. That’s why recycling for kids is such an important thing to teach as they grow up! With Earth Day coming up, it’s the perfect time to teach your kids all about how they can make a difference! No one is too young to care for the world we live in!
If you’re not sure where to start, we’ve got a few easy ideas for you!
Make It Fun
Making recycling for kids fun is the key to encouraging them to get involved. You don’t need fancy recycling bins to get going. Grab some boxes or bins and let your kids help you set up the family recycling center. This works great for classrooms as well.
- Cardboard boxes work well as recycling bins and the kids will love decorating them!
- Turn sorting the recyclables into a race. See who can sort the fastest.
- Take turns tossing plastic bottles and cans into the recycling bins. See who can make the most in.
It might take a little longer to get your recycling done with the kids involved, but it will be so worth it when you see them start doing it on their own! So don’t be afraid to make it fun! And don’t be afraid to start them young!
Get Them Involved
Once your kids have the hang of recycling at home, let them take it out into their daily lives. School is a great place to continue teaching about recycling for kids! If you have time, find out what your child’s school does in terms of recycling and then offer to lend a hand. Setting an example is one of the best way to teach our kids the lessons we want them to learn!
If you’re looking for a little help in getting something set up at the school, check out PepsiCo’s Recycle Rally program! It’s a FREE program available nationwide that provides valuable incentives and resources to make recycling easy, fun, and rewarding for K-12 schools and students.
With Recycle Rally schools benefit in tons of ways, including:
- Download poster templates and certificates.
- Access lesson plans and activities.
- Track progress of the school’s impact.
- Earn reward points and redeem for recycling bins, supplies, and more!
- Compete in contests and promotions to win prizes!
It’s a program that is great for schools who have been involved in recycling for a while or who are just getting started!
Keep Them Interested
Once you get them interested, keep them in interested in recycling and learning more about caring for the environment! Here are some of our favorite activities to do together!
- Recycle by Making a DIY Bird Feeder
- Make Earth Day Cupcakes
- Start Your Own Garden with DIY Seed Pots
- Create a Paper Plate Earth Day Craft
- Recycle an Egg Carton into a Tree Craft
So have some fun together and check out some great recycling for kids resources from Recycle Rally!