Summer is one of my favorite times of the year. Even though it gets really hot here in Texas, I’m always planning simple summer things to do with family. Summer is a time for making memories!
51 Simple Summer Things to Do with Family
One of my favorite lists to work off of during the summer is our 30 Things to Do with Kids This Summer. It is full of summer things to do with family including games and crafts!
But sometimes I’m looking for easy summer things to do at home that we can just step out into the backyard and start doing! This is the summer things to do list that I keep tucked in my back pocket for the days when we don’t have any plans.
Those are the days when the kids will suddenly have nothing to do in the house (even if they’ve been perfectly content every other day). It can even be a checklist of sorts. Make it a challenge with your family to cross off each of the 51 summer things to do with family before school starts again!
Our backyard is one of the reasons we bought our house. It’s an amazing space for us to spend time together and make memories.
If you’re looking to keep your summer things to do list on the affordable side, just open your back door and head into the yard together! Start at the top of the list or somewhere in the middle and have fun together!
- Blow bubbles
- Play with the hose
- Play in a plastic pool
- Play in the water table (or a tub of water)
- Add blocks to the water table
- Make foil boats
- Play in a sandbox (or use a tub)
- Go on a scavenger hunt
- Go bug hunting
- Make a map of your yard
- Play on the playset (if you have one)
- Play catch
- Play soccer (kick the ball between you)
- Play with the dog
- Plant a flower or a plant
- Wash the car
- Make a car wash for toy cars
- Toss water balloons
- Draw bullseye with chalk and throw water balloons
- Play with squirt guns
- Dig in the dirt
- Make mud
- Have a picnic lunch (or dinner!) together
- Take an ice pop break
- Eat watermelon
- Have a seed spitting contest
- Paint rocks
- Paint with sticks and leaves
- Draw or write names in the dirt with sticks
- Draw with sidewalk chalk
- Make sidewalk paint
- Draw streets and parking lots with sidewalk chalk for toy cars
- Paint with shaving cream
- Build with rocks
- Create an obstacle course
- Run a relay race
- Lay in the shade
- Look at the clouds together
- Read a book together
- Sit by the fire pit (if you have one)
- Hula hoop or jump rope
- Play hopscotch
- Play tag
- Play hide and seek
- Make a homemade bird feeder
- Make paper airplanes and see which flies the farthest
- Roast marshmallows and make S’mores
- Go on a night scavenger hunt with flashlights (yes, there are some fun summer things to do at night together too!)
- Play with glow sticks
- Have an outdoor movie night (use a wall of your house, garage door, or hang a sheet for a screen)
- Lay in the grass and look at the stars together
When I think of summer, I usually think of things to keep the kids through that middle of the day slump, but we love summer things to do at night because we can do them as a whole family!
Since we spend so much time in our yard during the summer, it’s important that we take care of it.
TruGreen believes more life should be lived outside and is committed to providing a beautiful lawn to serve as the foundation for outside experiences and lifelong memories.
As a mom, I want our time spent outside in our yard to be quality time, not just time spent working on the yard. Grambo loves working in the yard but her favorite things to do involve planting flowers and making paths.
A survey conducted by Harris Poll on behalf of TruGreen found that nearly two-thirds of Americans said that some of their favorite memories are ones that happened right in their own yards! We want to be in that number!
The survey also found that Americans spend an average of 12 hours per week in their yards during the summer, but much of that time is spent working to maintain their lawns. While I want to spend time in our yard, I would prefer to tackle our list of summer things to do with family rather than work on maintaining the lawn.
TruGreen is the nation’s largest lawn care company, serving customers across the United States with lawn, tree and shrub care. That means they’re making it easier for me to spend more time outside checking off our summer thing to do list! They can help you too!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.