If you asked me five years ago if I liked sushi I would have turned my nose up and answered with a resounding no. However, my husband has loved sushi for years and at his urging I finally tried it. It was love at first bite and now I am hooked and consider it one of my favorite foods! Our 7 year old is also a sushi fanatic and we are proud to be passing the enjoyment onto him. So if it’s a special occasion and we are choosing some place to eat, 9 times out of 10 I will pick our favorite sushi place, Asakusa. During our most recent meal there we tried a new appetizer and I was totally inspired. It wasn’t anything fancy, just teriyaki shrimp grilled on skewers but they were so delicious. They were simple, but elegant and that is the reason I came up with this meal at home. Maybe one of these days I’ll get really brave and try my hand at making sushi too!
-Krista, Everyday Mom’s Meals
Teriyaki Shrimp Lettuce Cups
What you need:
- 2 heads leaf lettuce
- 1 (12oz) bag frozen (71/80 size) shrimp, raw, peeled and deveined, thawed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. teriyaki sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 c. shredded carrot
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and julienned
- Soy Sauce, optional
What you do:
- Wash and dry lettuce. Separate leaves and remove tough ends.
- In a large ziploc bag place thawed shrimp, garlic, teriyaki, salt, and pepper. Allow to marinate in fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium and place shrimp on skewers.
- Spray grill with non-stick spray. Grill shrimp until pink and opaque, about 3 minutes per side.
- When ready to assemble, place 3-4 shrimp on a leaf of lettuce, then add a few carrots and 2 slices of cucumber.
- Add a few drops of soy sauce, if desired.
- Roll and enjoy!