Finding the right babysitter can prove to be one of the most difficult things you do as a parent. Do you know why? You’re basically trying to replace something that you’re already so great at! While you will never find someone who does you are a parent as perfect as you do, you can find a close second. Now—back to reality.
Tips for Finding the Right Babysitter for Your Kids
There are some points in life where you just can’t take your kids with you and you need a sitter. Whether you’re headed out to date night with your husband or you are starting a new job, finding the right babysitter doesn’t have to be as challenging as it might seem!
- Ask for a recommendation from friends and family. When first looking for a babysitter, always ask around for the very best. You never want to settle for less than the best when it comes to a sitter.
- Always do a background check. Ah, yes—you never want to go without a background check when it comes to hiring a sitter. If you can’t do a full background check, definitely interview them!
- Meet the babysitter before having the kids meet him/her. Just in case you haven’t found the perfect babysitter, it’s important that you meet them before your kids do! Kids get attached really easily. Consider more than one interview so you can really get a feel for their vibe.
- Always go with your gut instinct. In the process of finding the right babysitter, you may find some just completely creepy. Always go with your gut instinct as to whether or not the babysitter will work for your family. That’s always my advice to parents with everything! TRUST YOUR GUT!
- Give it a trial run. Just because you need a sitter right away, it doesn’t mean you should settle for less than the best. Before you make a long term decision, give the babysitter a trial run. Consider having the sitter come and be with the kids while you’re doing something in another area of the house as a trial run!
- Make sure the kids like the babysitter. It’s safe to say that if your kids are going to be the ones spending the most time with the sitter, then they should at least like him or her. This is an important step in finding the right babysitter for your kids. Make sure you give them the opportunity to spend time with the sitter before they’re all on their own together.
- The babysitter should be CPR certified. Never leave your kids alone with someone who is not CPR certified. In fact, it’s best that they also have gone through some sort of “babysitting” training course. Can someone know too much when it comes to taking care of kids? No way!
- The sitter should be great with communication. When it comes to the babysitter watching your kids, they should know the value of communicating with you. When finding the right babysitter, make communicating with you a high priority. Set your expectations in advance and make them clear.
- Once you get the perfect sitter, treat them right. Finding the right babysitter might take some work but once you find the right fit, you’re good to go! If you want to keep the great sitter that you have worked so hard to find, make sure you treat them right. Be on time, courteous, and pay them well.
Although finding the right babysitter for your kids can feel next to impossible, you’ll find one and they will be great with your kids. Take your time on finding the right babysitter because it’s worth your sanity and their safety!
Image credit: Adobe Stock ©pressmaster