Tips to Get and Stay Active as you Age is sponsored by Abbott. Abbott partnered with influencers such as me for its Ensure Program. As part of this Program, I received compensation for my time – although thoughts and opinions are my own.
Remember way back when you returned to school after a long summer and you had to write about “What I did on my summer vacation”? Well, this summer I plan on getting active because it’s important for me to keep up with the kids! I want to be healthy for many years to come so I can share many more memories with them! Exercise is key for me, so here are some tips to get and stay active as you age.
Tips to Get and Stay Active As You Age
I started working out and running in my early thirties and I have always loved working up a sweat. But as I got older, I learned I had to adjust my level of activity accordingly. This was a bitter pill to swallow at first, but now I realize that I am fortunate to be able to do different activities that are just as fulfilling and fun.
If you are over 50 and would like to start getting active, here are some tips:
- Ask your doctor first. You don’t want to injure yourself. And you need to consider any ongoing health concerns and adjust your activity to incorporate any limitations.
- Start slow. If you are like me, you want to give it your all right from the get-go, but patience is important.
- Make it a habit. Commit for 3-4 weeks and then you will miss it if you don’t do it every day.
- Make it fun. Pick activities that you enjoy, whether it is walking, yoga, joining a gym, gardening, playing with the grandkids or whatever, and you are likely to stick with it.
- Stay motivated. Pick short-term goals, such as waking a mile or taking a yoga class each week. Meeting these goals will keep you going and before you know it, you will have achieved the goals! Then pick a new goal.
- Stop if it hurts! Some muscle soreness is inevitable when you are beginning, but no need to worry. Just don’t overdo or you can sideline yourself. I speak from experience on this issue.
- Enjoy yourself. I find exercising is a time when I can focus on me.
So I have begun going to my local gym and working out on all the different machines in the weight room. I got advice from the trainers there and they helped me get started. I walk for five minutes on the treadmill to warm up my muscles and then I get going! My daughter goes with me and we have a great time.
My muscles are getting a real workout these days. To help my muscles stay strong, I discovered Ensure Enlive. Ensure Enlive is a new nutrition drink designed to help adults over 50 get the key nutrients they need to build strength and energy. After the age of 40, everyone begins losing muscle mass. Ensure Enlive can help.
- Ensure Enlive contains 20 grams of protein and the unique ingredient HMB. HMB is a compound already found in very small amounts in your body and in certain foods. It can help stop muscle deterioration.
- In a convenient bottle, you can always have it with you even when you’re on the go.
- It can fill in nutritional gaps when you don’t have time to eat properly, with 26 essential vitamins and minerals.
- Tastes great! In three flavors, milk chocolate, vanilla and strawberry, you will easily find your favorite flavor. I love the vanilla.
Ensure Enlive is a perfect nutrition balance to my workouts. I’m feeling stronger every day!
If you are over 50 and you want to get active and STAY active, check out Ensure Enlive. Summertime and the living is easy and busy.
Abbott partnered with influencers such as me for its Ensure Program. As part of this Program, I received compensation for my time. The opinions and thoughts in this piece are my own. Abbott/Ensure believes that consumers and influencers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. Abbott/Ensure policies align with WOMMA Ethics Code, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) guidelines and social media engagement recommendations.