When it comes to my focus on self-care ideas this year, I’ve been focusing a lot on figure out what causes stress in my life. I figured then I could focus on finding stress management activities that would help me get my self-care taken care of!
I’m excited to partner with Crest again to share some of the easiest stress relief activities that can also help you detox your life!
3 Stress Management Activities for Busy Parents
I know that a lot of my stress is self-induced and I don’t think I’m the only mother who deals with this. We’re pulled in so many different directions and sometimes it’s really hard to say no to things.
But it’s important for our families that we start making ourselves a priority. By making sure we know how to deal with stress and relax, we can avoid stretching ourselves too thin.
By detoxing our lives a bit and finding stress management techniques that work best for us, we can be the parents we want to be!
1. Know Quick Ways to Relieve Stress
An important part of figuring out stress management activities that work in the middle of busy family life is focusing on having some quick fixes as well as developing habits to reduce stress as a whole.
Some of the easiest stress management activities are ones you can do any time, any place, no matter what’s got you feeling the pressure. Some of my favorites that work well for me include:
- Breathing – I breathe in for a count of five and then exhale for a count of five. If I do this for a few minutes, I find that I can calm my thoughts and release any tension I’m feeling.
- Affirmations – Repeating simple affirmations helps relax my mind when I’m feeling the stress. The ones I say most often are “I am safe” and “I am peaceful and at ease.”
- Reading, Music, Puzzles – Another thing that works well for me is a kind of distraction technique. I’ll read a chapter of a book on my phone, listen to one of my favorite songs or do a Sudoku puzzle to take my mind off things for a moment. These activities usually help me rest my mind for a few minutes and make it easier to tackle whatever I’m dealing with at the moment.
- Shoulder Massage – You don’t need anyone else to rub your shoulders. When I’m feeling the tension or anxiety rise, I take a few minutes to rub my neck and shoulders.
Don’t be afraid to try these quick ways to relax or find some that work well for you in those moments when it feels like you can’t handle much more.
2. Detox Your Life
When it comes to detoxing your life as a parent, it’s sometimes hard to even know where to start. This is something I’m really focusing on this year.
It’s okay to say no. That used to be hard for me to accept. I’m the people pleaser type and I don’t want to feel like I’ve let anyone done. This is especially true when it comes to my kids.
So I found it really challenging. But detoxing a bit and clearing off commitments has really helped me manage stress.
A few things you can do to detox your mom life are:
- Ask for help – Remember that you don’t have to do everything on your own. Get your family helping and thin out your to-do list by getting support.
- Turn off the phone – Don’t be afraid to turn off your phone or remove some social media apps from it. It’s okay to disconnect for a bit and it’s okay to do that every single day! It’s one of the best ways I’ve found to simplify my life. I didn’t realize how often I was checking my phone.
- Clear the calendar – Having too many commitments is the thing that causes me the most stress when it comes to managing everything with our family. I made a list of all of our commitments and looked at which obligations caused me stress. I took the time to really figure out which ones were necessary and we cleared up some things. This means I have more time for the things that I enjoy and the things that really matter to me and my family.
- Leave yesterday in the past – I’ve also worked hard to let things go. Once things have happened, they’re done. I teach my kids to learn from things but not to dwell on them once they’ve happened. Recently I’ve also started working to do the same thing! By letting go of the worries that are behind us, I’m detoxing my mind and focusing more on the moment.
For more ideas, Crest has more easy ways to detox your life featured on Buzzfeed!
3. Ways to Relieve Stress with Daily Activities
There are things we all do (or should do) every single day. Instead of thinking of daily routines as just more on my to-do list, I’ve worked on changing my thinking.
Almost any daily activity can be turned into a time of self-care.
Exercise and Physical Activity
Exercising each day is something we do for our bodies. But it’s also great for us mentally and emotionally. My daily walk is a time I usually get to myself or with my daughter in the stroller.
Now I use it as a time to care for myself completely. Even if I’m pushing the stroller, we listen to some of my favorite music or an audiobook.
I get a little treat while also doing something that helps me be better prepared to handle stress on a day-to-day basis.
I’m also starting to learn a bit of yoga that I know will help me learn to relax more and feel comfortable in my skin.
Fueling My Body
I’ve also worked to change my mind about food. I’m an emotional eater but in recent months, I’ve been focusing on food as a way to care for myself too. I’ve been learning new recipes and trying ingredients that I’m not as familiar with. It’s a treat to find new favorite dishes full of foods that fuel me up!
I enjoy spending time in the kitchen when I’m exploring and learning.
Daily Self-Care for Stress Management
I’ve mentioned that I added a bit more time for my morning routines by waking up a few minutes earlier. I love my sleep but I’ve found that if I get up five minutes earlier or start getting ready for bed five minutes earlier, I take more time with my routines.
I really take care of myself and focus on me, even with something as simple as brushing my hair and brushing my teeth. I’ve made time so I can get ready without having to juggle getting the kids ready at the same time.
I shared earlier this year about the easy self-care ideas I have been implementing as part of my partnership with Crest. Using the new Crest Gum Detoxify has become part of my morning and evening care routine.
Some of the great features and benefits of Gum Detoxify include:
- Neutralizes plaque bacteria, even around the gum line to fight gingivitis
- Clinically proven healthier gums
- Activated foam seeks out plaque bacteria in hard to reach places
- Gently cools gums during and after brushing
I love the way the activated foam technology makes my mouth feel! Gum health is important to me and after using the new Crest Gum Detoxify, I start my day feeling confident in terms of my teeth and oral care.
I’m able to look at myself and smile which goes a long way towards helping me handle whatever stress my days try and throw my way!
You can get your own Crest Gum Detoxify toothpaste at Walmart and see how it helps you start your day with confidence!
Importance of Stress Management Activities
As parents, it’s important that we take time to take care of ourselves. Stress is one thing that seems to snowball if I don’t take care of it.
So with some easy ideas and a plan for how to handle it, we can be more relaxed and be the parents we want to be for our kids!