Holiday season is right around the corner and that means I’ve got holiday spending on my mind. It’s also birthday season for us. That means we’ve got gifts, parties, and so many memories to make. I’ve found some easy ways to save money that makes all the holiday spending easy to handle!
This is a post is sponsored by First Service Credit Union.
EASY WAYS TO SAVE MONEY FOR THE HOLIDAYS
If you’re looking for a little extra money to pay for some of the splurges of the holiday season, trust me when I say it’s easy and adds up quickly!
There are simple things I do each year to pocket a little extra spending money. Last year I used it to get some amazing Santa photos done with a local photographer instead of going to the mall. It’s a memory we’ll always have and I’m so glad I did it!
No matter what your budget looks like around the holidays, having a little extra money to spend or give is always welcome.
These easy ways to save money work at any time throughout the year, but during the busy holiday season easy is always a huge help!
OPT FOR GIFT EXCHANGES OR SECRET SANTA FUN
If you have a large family or a big group of friends, gift giving might feel like a huge pressure, especially if you have a family budget in place. One of the best ways to save money on gift giving during the holidays is to set up gift exchanges for your family and friends.
Whether you do something like Secret Santa or perhaps a White Elephant game, by exchanging gifts you reduce the number of presents you have to buy.
Everyone who participates saves money and everyone still has a great time! Gift exchanges are perfect for holiday get-togethers like parties and playdates.
MAKE MEMORIES WITH ACTIVITIES THAT ARE LOW COST
One of the things I love about the holidays is that there seem to be so many opportunities to make memories. There’s just something about this time of year that brings people together.
The time doesn’t always have to be spent doing things that cost a lot of money. If you’re looking at your budget and wondering how you’ll fit it all in. There are easy ways to save money on holiday activities.
Check social media or ask people in your area about any local holiday events. Our area always offers a great collection of events that free or low cost. We can usually find a wide variety of festivals to check out.
Some of our favorite things to do together during the holiday season include:
- Baking Christmas cookies at home or with friends
- Walking around our neighborhood to see the decorated houses
- Watching Christmas movies at home with hot chocolate
- Visiting Santa at the mall
- Checking out the local tree lightings and festivals
Our local high schools and churches often have holiday concerts and entertainment too!
MAKE A PLAN AND START EARLY
One of the best things I’ve done to help save money during the holidays is to write everything down. I make a list of the things we need to pay for whether it’s gifts or activities.
When it comes to shopping, I do my best to stick to the list and avoid just checking out the sales to see what’s available. It’s also the way I avoid having a bunch of things after the holidays that no one really wanted or needed anyway.
I also start early when it comes to shopping. My kids always seem to have a few items they know they want months before most people are even thinking about the holidays. I buy smaller things starting in the fall and I also start keeping my eye out for deals on the gifts they’re already talking about.
(If you have space to store things after the holidays is also a great time to stock up on things like gift wrap, bows, cards, and all that. As long as you have room and remember where you’re storing it all, it’s a great way to save money that can be spent on things that are more fun!)
FIND ACCOUNTS THAT WORK FOR YOU
One of the best things I’ve done is to find bank accounts that work for our family. Over the years I’ve learned that not every account is the same. These days there are some banks offering some great features that we can really benefit from!
First Service Credit Union offers a free checking account that I wish I had discovered a long time ago. They offer a variety of features that actually put money back into our pockets. You can become a member and open your account in minutes online or in a branch!
It’s perfect around the holidays!
If you’re looking for a checking account that is easy to set up (you don’t need a ton of money to open a new First Service Credit Union account) and that has NO FEES, you’ll want to check out all of the other features.
- No Monthly Fees – When it comes to easy ways to save money for anything, this is a great way to keep our money in our account. So many bank accounts have fees these days, but a Free Checking Account with First Service Credit Union is truly a free checking account. (After you sign up online, your account comes with eStatements. If you choose to receive paper statements, there will be a small fee.)
- Free ATMs – Another place that banks sometimes get us is at the ATM. I’ve seen some ATMs that charge $3 or $5 just to use them! First Service Credit Union offers free access to over 5,000 shared branches and nearly 30,000 shared ATMs available through the CO-OP network of credit unions.
- Free Mobile & Online Banking – This will save money and time! I know those are two things I’m always happy to do during the holidays!
- Free Checking with Debit Rewards – This is where the magic is with your free checking account. Every time we use our debit card to make a purchase, we earn points. The points can be redeemed for travel, gift cards, dining, merchandise, and more. Plus, you can earn twice the rewards in your first 6 months when you set up direct deposit of $500 or more and use promo code DOUBLEMYPOINTS.
I love earning points every time I use my debit card. Redeeming rewards is great around the holiday season whether you use them to get something for yourself or something to use as a gift.
All of the funds in your account are federally insured by the National Credit Union Association so our money is safe too!
First Service Credit Union is also giving away $1,500 a week and $50,000 a year with Cash Rewards! You automatically earn entries for the transactions you make every day!
CASH IN POINTS AND OTHER REWARDS
I love the Free Checking with Debit Rewards from First Service Credit Union because I earn rewards on top of the transactions that I’m making anyway. If you have credit cards that offer points or other ways to earn rewards, this is the time of year to cash them in!
Look at your accounts and see what gift cards or other goodies you might be able to snag with the rewards you’ve already earned!
So while you’re getting ready to celebrate the holidays with your family and friends, try some of these easy ways to save!
Click to open your own Free Checking with Debit Rewards account at First Service Credit Union to get a jumpstart this year!