Memorial Day is right around the corner and I will admit that I’m looking forward to having an extra long weekend with my family! It’s a time for cookouts and other family activities for us. And my wonderful friend Danielle from Simmworks Family has great ideas for Memorial Day crafts to keep us all busy! I have fallen in love with these DIY poppers and I think they’ll be a blast for W and his cousins this year!
Memorial Day Crafts: DIY Poppers
I am the mom who strives to be crafty. I always have these big plans but then the crafts that only really get done are the ones that are pretty simple. That is why I’m a huge fan of these DIY Poppers. They only take about 5 minutes each to make (unless you get your kids involved in putting them together) and are an adorable addition to your next Memorial Day BBQ.
Oh and the great thing about these poppers is that you can make them for any occasion just by changing up the scrapbook paper you choose! For Memorial Day and the 4th of July, scrapbook paper in festive reds, whites, and blues is perfect. But you could easily choose reds and greens for Christmas, pastels for Easter, etc. The possibilities are endless and perfect for any party!
I’m thinking these would be a blast for W’s 3rd birthday party later this year. Oh, maybe instead of goody bags!
What you need:
- 12×12 scrapbook paper, cut into fourths (I chose festive colors)
- White tissue paper
- Candy/small prizes
What you do:
- Cut tissue paper a little wider than scrapbook paper and place it on the wrong side of the scrapbook paper.
- Line back of scrapbook paper with tissue paper and roll both together to form a cylinder. Tape shut leaving about 1-2 inches of tissue paper coming out of each side.
- Tie one end with ribbon to secure shut.
- Fill cylinder with candy. Make sure to get the candy inside of the tissue paper.
- Tie other end of cylinder shut to seal in the candy.
It’s seriously that easy! And they look absolutely adorable too! I love the polka dot paper that Danielle chose combined with the sequins to give the popper some flash! These would be fun at a baby shower too! Oh, now the ideas are rolling. I love crafts that are so versatile!