Are you scrounging around for ideas on what to make for Mother’s Day? Whether it be for your mother or your children’s grandmother, this kids craft is the perfect gift for any mom! It’s personal and it’s adorable! What more could you ask for?
Kids Crafts: Photo Flower Pot
By taking a few items I had around the house I was able to make a beautiful photo flower pot for my mother-in-law with pictures of all of her grandchildren. And the best part? Each year the photos can be changed out and updated! That way mom or grandma has a great place to store the latest photo of the kids.
Make Your Own Photo Flower Pot
What You’ll Need:
- flower pot
- paper grass (leftover from Easter baskets)
- pipe cleaners
- popsicle sticks
- craft paper
- photos of the kids
- cup or circle stencil
What You Do:
1. Crumple up and stuff newspaper in the bottom of the flower pot. This will allow you to use less grass and will provide a steady support for the flowers.
2. Using your circle stencil or cup, make a circle around the kids faces.
3. Cut out the faces and set aside.
4. Using a larger circle stencil (around 1 1/2″ diameter), cut out a few larger circles to use as a base for the flower.
5. Using the colored cardboard paper cut out some petal shapes. Using a variety of colors will give your flowers an extra pop.
6. Let your child make a circle of glue to stick the petals on.
7. Start layering the petals around the circle. If using different colors, alternate each petal.
8. Once all of the petals are in place, add some glue to the center of the flower to add the picture.
9. Set the completed flower aside and let dry. Repeat with the other photos.
10. Grab the popsicle sticks and start wrapping one end with a pipe cleaner.
11. Layer another popsicle stick on top of the wrapped one.
12. Wrap with a second pipe cleaner to secure the two sticks together. Leave about a 1/2″ uncovered at the top.
13. Stick flower on the popsicle stick with the long side on back and the short side on front.
14. The longer side will provide some support for the flower.
15. Start sticking the flowers in the pot and add some grass around the bottom of the pot around each flower covering up the newspaper.
Step back and enjoy your creation! Make sure mom knows that the flowers can be changed out and new photos added each year. Then all you have to do next year is have the kids create a new flower. Easy peasy.
Who in your family would love this homemade Mother’s Day Gift?
Danielle is a work-at-home-mom of two beautiful kids and writes at the Simmworks Family Blog. She loves to blog about her family, healthy living, going green and crafting. Danielle would love for you to come visit! You can reach her on facebook and twitter as well. If you have any questions feel free to email her at email@example.com.