As an elementary school teacher, I have experience with grades Pre-K through 4th. But I spent a good handful of years teaching first grade. It definitely helped deepen my love for children’s books. Teaching children to read and watching their faces light up when it all clicked is something special. Teaching special education preschool furthered my love for children’s literature and all of the activities little ones can do with books.
As W and I prepare for the change in seasons, I put together a list of 15 of my favorite fall books for toddlers and preschoolers. These books have been loved by my students and by my own son!
15 Great Fall Books for Toddlers & Preschoolers
Please note that the links to these books on Amazon are my affiliate links.
- Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert
- We’re Going on a Leaf Hunt by Steven Metzger
- Mouse’s First Fall by Lauren Thompson
- It’s Fall by Linda Glaser
- Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert
- I Love Fall! (board book) by Alison Inches
- Leaf Jumpers by Carole Gerber
- Who Loves the Fall? by Bob Raczka
- Apples and Pumpkins by Anne Rockwell
- When the Leaf Blew In by Steve Metzger
- Leaves by David Ezra Stein
- There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves! by Lucille Colandro
- Fall Mixed Up by Bob Raczka
- The Busy Little Squirrel by Nancy Tafuri
- Let It Fall by Maryann Cocca-Leffler
My son doesn’t have a book that’s specifically fall-themed but this selection looks really good! I’ll look into these and decide which ones he’ll most probably love so I can get him more books. :)
Thank you for taking the time to put this roundup together. I see a few that I would like to pick up.
Kristin Barclay says
I don’t think we have any of these books, so maybe I’ll take the kids to the library this week for some fall books!
Great choices. Something I no longer have to think about, my son is 21 ;)
Michelle Cantu says
Thanks for the great list we make monthly trips to the library for the boys these are perfect.
Jennifer Young says
Wow, most of these I haven’t seen. I can’t think of our favorite fall book, but we have quite a collection of books plus we go to the library 1-5 times per week as well! I’ll have to get some of these now that fall is quickly approaching, thanks for the list!
OMG my daughter LOVED PUMPKIN SOUP! She was just under 2.5 last year and she was reading it to me by the 2nd week. (she memorizes books after a few times)
As a children’s librarian, I love this list! It’s fabulous and very helpful! I am going to try to find all of these today and make up a fall reading display for our awesome SLCPL!!
Megan @ Teaching Every Day says
Leaf Man is one of my favorites!!
Suzanne Holt says
“Let it Fall” is so simple, yet such a great book!