If you’re looking for a fun way to get the kids in the Back to School mood or to celebrate during the first week of school, these rice crispy treat ideas are a fun to make with the kids! You can also make them and surprise them when they get off the bus on the first day of school!
Rice Crispy Treat Ideas for Back to School
Crispy rice treats are popular in our house. Everyone loves them, not just the kids! And to quote Weston, we’re actually on a mission to make the “best ever rice crispy treats!” So it’s fun to do a fun twist to make them special for the school year!
I’ve provided some links to supplies you might need so there are some affiliate links in this post!
This one has a longer ingredient list than I usually sign up for but it’s really an easy rice crispy treats recipe once you get going!
Ingredients to Make Easy Rice Crispy Treats
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- Two 10 oz. bags of mini marshmallows
- 10 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Wilton Color Mist in red, blue, green, yellow and orange
- Wilton white cookie frosting
- 1/4 cup Wilton pink candy melts
- Wilton fondant (optional)
- Wilton black gel icing
- Wilton black edible color marker
How to Make Back to School Rice Crispy Treat Ideas
- Line a 9×12 pan with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter over low heat.
- And marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring constantly.
- Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from heat and stir in the cereal and salt until well-coated.
- Using a rubber spatula sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, transfer the cereal mix to the prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly.
- Cool completely in pan.
- With a metal spatula, loosen the crispy rice treats from the pan. Invert them onto a plate.
- Let cool completely.
Notebook Rice Crispy Treat Ideas
- Using a sharp knife, cut 4 equal rectangular pieces for the notebooks. Make sure there are some left to make the pencils.
- Spray each rectangle with Wilton Color Mist. I used the colors red, blue, green and orange. Let set for 30 minutes.
- With the cookie frosting, pipe 4-5 round circles down the left side of each notebook to resemble the hole punches.
- Using the black gel icing tube, squeeze the icing onto each “hole punch” and go left towards the edge of each notebook to resemble the spirals.
- If you want to add labels to your notebooks, roll out fondant and cut 4 pieces that are about 1 1/2 inches long by 1/2 inch wide.
- With an edible black marker, write the words Math, English, Art and science on each of the fondant pieces (or whatever subjects you prefer)
- Apply a small amount of the white decorator icing to the back of each fondant piece and press on to the upper middle of each notebook.
Pencil Shaped Easy Rice Crispy Treats
- With the left over crispy rice cereal mixture, cut out two 5 inches long by 1/2 inch wide pieces for the pencils.
- Cut out 2 triangles (1/2 inch wide) to attach as pencil tips. Set aside.
- Cut out two 1″ x 1/2″ rectangle pieces to attach as erasers.
- Spray the 2 long pencil pieces with yellow Wilton Color Mist. Set aside.
- Microwave the pink chocolate melts for 30 seconds. Stir until completely melted.
- Dip the 2 eraser tops in the melted pink chocolate until completely covered. Let dry for 10 minutes on wax paper.
- Pipe a small amount of the decorator icing onto the pencil tip pieces and attach to each pencil.
- Once dried, pipe a small amount of the decorator icing onto each eraser piece and attach to each pencil.
- Apply a small amount of black icing gel to the tip of each pencil.