If there was a parenting handbook, I think there would definitely need to be a chapter titled How To Get Slime Out of Carpet, Clothes, the Couch, Hair, etc.
In case you’re worried, you can get slime out of carpet. There are a few different methods to clean slime out of carpet and if you have patience and a little bit of time. You can get it clean almost all of the time!
HOW TO GET SLIME OUT OF CARPET (AND MOST EVERYTHING ELSE)
So it starts out a little like this. you start by making blue fluffy slime because it’s a foolproof slime recipe. You learn how to make slime without borax and you even make black slime!
Then there’s the day when the kids get the slime out when you’re not around and suddenly slime is EVERYWHERE. Not that I’m speaking from experience or anything. Nope. Not at all. Never happened.
Except you know it’s happened. It’s happened at my house and probably at yours!
HOW TO GET SLIME OUT OF CARPET WITH VINEGAR?
You don’t need to head to the store to pick up a special cleaning agent. You may already have several cleaning agents that will work that are already in your home. You can use things like rubbing alcohol, WD-40, bleach (for white carpet), and vinegar, to name a few.
If you try just one thing. TRY USING VINEGAR TO REMOVE SLIME!
BUY WHITE VINEGAR NOW SO YOU’RE PREPARED!
For carpet, there are a few simple steps to follow:
- Take a knife or spoon and scrape away any extra slime residue to make the spill more manageable.
- Use a towel to blot the slime dry. If it doesn’t all come up, continue to repeat steps 1 and 2 until the spill is dry.
- Use a vacuum and sweep up the dried slime that has come loose. Make sure that you sweep the slime in several directions to get as much as possible. (Don’t use a vacuum if the slime is still wet. Doing so could clog up your sweeper and you’ll have bigger problems).
- Mix together ⅔ parts white vinegar and ⅓ parts warm water. The amount will depend on how big the stain is.
- To begin treating your carpet, you’ll want to take the solution and apply it directly onto the stain. Make sure that the solution covers and saturates the entire surface of the stain. (You don’t need to worry about the vinegar damaging your carpet any further even when pouring it directly onto the carpet).
- Allow the solution to sit for at least 10 to 15 minutes. That will allow the carpet fibers to come loose of the slime’s color that’s discolored your carpet.
- Take an old rag and blot away the residue. Scrubbing the stain isn’t necessary. If that stain still remains, repeat these steps.
- Then soak a towel in hot water. Be sure to wring it out and then use it to blot out the stain. Then press a dry towel against the spot and dry it as best as you can. At this point, all your carpet needs to do is air dry.
This is one way that you can get slime out of your carpet and should work in most cases. If you’ve discovered another way for getting slime out of carpet and upholstery, tell us what worked for you! I love trying new methods!
HOW TO GET SLIME OUT OF HAIR
Hair is another place I find that slime is VERY attracted to. It’s also one of the messiest messes I can think of for parents.
Forget gum getting stuck in hair, slime is like my nightmare! But it’s okay because vinegar comes to the rescue again.
I’m not kidding when I say that vinegar is your secret cleaning weapon when it comes to slime!
Follow these steps to get slime out of hair:
- Remove as much slime as possible without pulling hair out.
- Then wash your child’s hair with a mixture of warm water and vinegar. It may take a few washes to get the majority of slime out of the hair.
- Once you have most of the slime out of their hair, use conditioner and a comb to brush out any remaining slime.
- After I finish, I usually wash their hair with our normal shampoo and conditioner.
HOW TO GET SLIME OUT OF CLOTHES
Let’s keep it real. If they got slime on the carpet or slime in their hair, the kids probably got slime on their clothes too.
But have no fear — vinegar to the rescue again!
When it comes to clothes if you notice the spill when it’s still wet, pull as much of the slime off as you can. But don’t freak out if you find it after it’s already dried.
If it is dry, use a stiff brush to loosen and brush off as much of the dried slime as possible. Then follow these easy steps:
- Fill the sink or a bowl with warm water.
- Pour vinegar on the slime and then put the clothing into the warm water.
- Use your hands or a brush to work on getting more of the slime off the clothing while it’s in the water.
- Then rinse the clothing in warm water.
After I use the vinegar then I run the clothes through our normal laundry routine, but I make sure to check on the slime spot before putting it into the dryer in case I need to work on it some more!
Honestly, if I know my kids are going to be playing with slime, I put them in their oldest play clothes so I have the option to just toss them in the trash when they’re done! I’m not afraid to confess!
HOW TO GET SLIME OUT OF CARPET WITHOUT VINEGAR?
If you don’t want to use vinegar, you can also try rubbing alcohol or WD-40. WD-40 can be sprayed directly onto the carpet because it shouldn’t cause any damage to the backing of the carpet. Saturate the entire area with it.
You can also try rubbing alcohol.
HOW DOES RUBBING ALCOHOL REMOVE SLIME FROM CARPET?
After you’ve gotten rid of as much of the dried gooey slime, you can pour rubbing alcohol on the stain. It shouldn’t harm the carpet backing so you can saturate the rug. You can also wet a cloth with the rubbing alcohol and blot at the stain. Then use a cloth dampened with water to rinse the carpet.
HOW TO GET SLIME OUT OF CARPET WITH BAKING SODA?
If I use baking soda to clean up slime, I pair it with vinegar. I love using vinegar and baking soda to clean.
YOU MIGHT LIKE: HOW TO CLEAN GROUT WITH VINEGAR AND BAKING SODA
Once you remove the large bits of slime and vacuum, sprinkle the stain with baking soda. Then pour vinegar into a spray bottle. Spray the area until it is wet and the baking soda starts to react.
Let the vinegar and baking soda sit on the stain for 5 minutes and then blot with a clean cloth. Rinse the cloth and repeat blotting until all of the baking soda and vinegar is cleaned from the carpet. Then dry with a clean cloth.
If you have any tips or tricks for how to get slime out of carpet, hair, or clothes, please let me know! I love building up my arsenal! It makes letting the kids play with slime just a little less scary!
PIN THIS POST
athena graeme says
Amen. Thank you for this post! So many post on how to make it out there, not enough on how to clean it up! It got all over my daughter’s run. The vinegar worked!