One of my favorite Christmas traditions is making our easy reindeer food recipe. It’s simple and so versatile! We made a batch recently along with a printable Reindeer Food Poem to use and an easy farmhouse bucket craft.
This craft will turn your reindeer food into great holiday decor as you wait for Christmas Eve to spread your reindeer mix and wait for Santa!
REINDEER FOOD POEM & FARMHOUSE BUCKET
I’ve shared how our easy Magic Reindeer Food Recipe is one of our favorite holiday traditions. It’s so versatile that you can use it for almost anything. Whether you’re looking for a fun crafty project to do with the kids while they’re on break from school, hosting a playdate or holiday party, or looking for homemade gifts to give to your family friends, reindeer feed is an easy idea to have in your back pocket!
If you’re like me, you LOVE decorating for the holidays. It’s one of our favorite things to do around here. Grambo and I start around mid-November (yes, we’re those people) so we have plenty of time to enjoy all of it.
This year I knew that our Reindeer Food Recipe could be a great thing to incorporate into our holiday decor as we got closer to Christmas Eve. Farmhouse decor is in right now and I find myself slowly adding more and more to our house.
So doing a little DIY Farmhouse Bucket craft to keep our Reindeer Food in seemed like the perfect idea!
It also makes a great gift idea when paired with our cute Reindeer Food Poem! (Don’t worry! We’ve got a free printable for you to cover that part of things!)
FREE PRINTABLE REINDEER FOOD POEM
Stop by your local craft store and pick up some small galvanized buckets, then print as many copies as you need of our Reindeer Food Poem to pair with this easy reindeer food recipe!
Homemade holiday gift giving will be easy this year!
HOW TO MAKE REINDEER FOOD & FARMHOUSE BUCKET
You can get more details on our favorite reindeer food recipe and then start tweaking it for your project! This version of reindeer mix is adjusted slightly for our bucket craft.
MATERIALS & INGREDIENTS
- small galvanized bucket (we got ours at Michael’s Craft Store but they have some perfect for the kids on Amazon — check them out here)
- chalkboard label
- chalk marker
- dried oats or oatmeal (you can also add in bird seed for more texture and a different look)
- sugar sprinkles (this version of our reindeer food is meant to be sprinkled from the bucket onto the grass so we definitely used sugar sprinkles and not glitter so it is safe for any animals who might be around
1. Mix about 1 cup of dried oats with a generous Tablespoon of sugar sprinkles in a large bowl.
2. Pour the mixture into the bucket.
3. Write the word FEED on the chalkboard label using a chalk marker. (You can also use regular chalk if you have better skills than I do!) Allow writing to dry completely.
4. Remove the label and stick it onto the front of the bucket. Smooth it out to get rid of wrinkles and bubbles.
5. Finish by tying a piece of twine to the handle of the bucket.
Just like that, you have a great homemade gift or adorable holiday themed farmhouse decor!
The reindeer food can be displayed in your bucket until Christmas Eve. Then the kids can head outside to sprinkle the reindeer mix to help Santa’s reindeer find your house!
If you don’t have a yard, the bucket is perfect for placing next to Santa’s cookies and milk so he can take the magic reindeer food with him to keep his reindeer fueled up!
Remember that if you are using it outside, all sorts of neighborhood critters might enjoy it, so keep it safe by using sugar crystal sprinkles so it’s edible for them!
FUN THINGS TO DO WITH REINDEER FOOD