If your kids love Poppy and Branch (or you’re planning a Trolls themed party), learn how to make this easy Troll Hair Headband for them!
Ever since Carrigan discovered the Trolls movie and the world of Poppy and Branch, she’s been in love. She talked about having a Poppy birthday party for an entire year and has seen the movie hundreds of times.
This Troll Hair Headband is an easy project to do with your little Trolls fans and it was inspired by our partnership with Netflix as one of the Stream Team families this year!
Troll Hair Headband
We’ve bought a few different Poppy costumes so we have plenty of Poppy dresses and even some play wigs and headbands.
But she also loves the color blue and has asked about getting a Trolls dress that comes with “blue hair but is not a boy like Branch.”
I learned how to make this DIY Troll headband when I was doing planning for her Trolls themed party and we recently had a blast making it on our weekly Make It Monday FB Live show!
Troll Hair Headband Materials
You don’t need many materials for this Trolls Headband DIY, which is why it works well for parties. You can make them in advance to give as favors or have kids make them at the party to take home with them.
- Tulle (you’ll be cutting 10-12 strips that are about 2 feet long)
- Headband (you can use a coordinating color or a contrasting one for different looks)
- Rubber band
- Strip of ribbon
How to Make Troll Headbands
If you’re making this for kids to do on their own, you’ll want to cut the strips of tulle before so they can just get started creating their DIY Troll headband!
1. Cut 10-12 strips of the tulle material that are each about 24″ long. If you’re using glitter tulle, it will be messy. That’s you’re warning!
2. Fold a strip of tulle in half and loop it around the headband. I start in the middle with the first strip and then work my way out on both sides of the headband.
3. Pull the strip through the loop and pull it into a loose knot. You don’t need to pull it super tight. You can always tighten it later but if you pull too hard the tulle can stretch out.
If you’re working with kids, it can even get torn! Carrigan has shown me how to do that!
4. Then repeat the steps with each tulle strip until you have them all on your headband.
If you’re making a Troll hair headband for a boy (or a girl who wants crazy Troll hair), you can spread the strips out or push them together to get the look you want.
If your child wants their Troll headband to have a ponytail look, you have a few more steps.
5. Pull the tulle strips together about 2/3 of the way up the length of the strips and wrap with the rubber band.
We used a matching colored rubber band but it won’t show, so you don’t have to worry about what color it is!
6. Tie the ribbon in a tight bow on top of the rubber band.
It’s that easy to make your own Troll hair!
Here’s the quick rundown of steps to make these headbands:
- Cut 10-12 strips of tulle that are each about 2 feet long
- Fold a strip in half and loop around the headband.
- Pull the strip through the loop and pull it to make a loose knot.
- Repeat with the rest of the strips of tulle.
- Wrap rubber band about 2/3 of the way up the tulle strips.
- Tie ribbon on top of the rubber band.
- Have fun wearing the Troll hair headbands!
If your kids watch the Trolls movie on repeat, they might love our Trolls Themed Countdown Printable too!
You can also check out Trolls: The Beat Goes On series on Netflix which Carrigan has fallen in love with! If you’re looking for more great kids shows on Netflix we shared our favorites from last year too!
Click the photo below to pin this DIY Troll Headband for later!
We’re thrilled to be part of the Netflix #StreamTeam.
We do receive sneak peeks, products, and other perks in exchange for sharing our Netflix life!