There are just some foods that bring back memories and make me feel nostalgic. Potato salad has always been one of them. It makes me think of both of my grandmothers and brings a smile to my face. It’s one of those foods that’s all about family for me.
Kathy Sponheim from Michael Family Farms recently shared their family recipe for Summer Potato Salad, and it has captured my heart. It brought back so many memories and was so simple to make! It’s the best potato salad I’ve had in a long time!
Side Delights® potatoes sponsors this post through Kitchen PLAY.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST POTATO SALAD
Early this summer, I had the opportunity to interview Kathy Michael-Sponheim to learn more about Michael Family Farms, her family’s potato farm, and what it’s like to be a potato farmer. I love talking with other moms, so it was great to chat with a mom whose business is growing the food I feed my family!
Michael Family Farms is one of the farms that grow the potatoes that are available in our favorite Side Delights® products! I’ve always loved potatoes!
PAIRS GREAT WITH: Air Fryer Hamburgers
So, when I had the opportunity to “Adopt a Farmer” this summer and learn more about their potatoes, I was excited. I’ve wanted to teach my kids more about the food we eat, and Kathy had some great information that I could share with them!
But first, she shared this fantastic summer potato salad recipe that is now in the running for one of the best potato salad recipes I’ve tried!
POTATO SALAD RECIPE INGREDIENTS
The ingredient list for this salad includes simple ingredients that you will recognize. You might even have many of them in your kitchen right now!
- 8 Side Delights® White potatoes, medium-size (cooked, cooled, peeled, and cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 3/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped (optional)
- Parsley flakes (if desired)
INGREDIENTS FOR POTATO SALAD DRESSING
- 1 and 1/2 cups Miracle Whip
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. spicy brown mustard
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, coarsely ground
If you like your potato salad a little less creamy, feel free to adjust the amount of Miracle Whip and mayonnaise you use. This recipe is so easy to tweak to get your favorite flavor!
HOW TO MAKE SUMMER POTATO SALAD
1. Put the cubed potatoes, celery, onion, and eggs (if including) in a bowl.
2. Mix dressing ingredients together, then add to the potatoes, celery, and onion. Mix all together.
3. Spread 1 cup sour cream into the salad and chill.
4. When you’re ready to serve the potato salad, sprinkle black pepper and parsley flakes on top. Then enjoy!
TIP TO MAKE THIS RECIPE EVEN EASIER: Kathy recommends that when you cook the potatoes, you drain them and put them in the fridge whole for 2 – 3 hours. They will peel easier if they are cold.
Summer Potato Salad
- Put the cubed potatoes, celery, onion, and eggs (if included) in a bowl.
- Mix dressing ingredients together, then add to the potatoes, celery, and onion. Mix all together.
- Spread 1 cup sour cream into the salad and chill.
- When you’re ready to serve the potato salad, sprinkle black pepper and parsley flakes on top. Then enjoy!
WHY POTATOES ARE PERFECT FOR FAMILIES
Sometimes potatoes get a bad rap. When I was chatting with Kathy from Michael Family Farms, she filled me in on something that blew my mind (in a good way)!
Potatoes are good for us!
Potatoes are full of vitamins and minerals and are a highly nutrient-based vegetable. They’re a great source of Vitamin C and Potassium. They are naturally gluten-free, sodium-free, and fat-free.
I loved hearing that, but here’s the fact that really got me — potatoes offer the highest nutritional value, on a dollar for dollar basis, of any fruit or veg in the produce department!
So, if you’re looking for a versatile vegetable that gives you a good bang for your buck, it’s time to bring home the potatoes!
Kathy shared with me that even though she’s a potato farmer she never gets sick of potatoes because they’re such a versatile food.
Kathy is a 4th generation potato farmer with her brother Kyle Michael. Michael Family Farms is located in Urbana, Ohio and combines family tradition with the newest farming technologies. It’s also a great location because of the loose, sandy soil and good access to irrigation. They grow Round White potatoes and Russet potatoes, which are two of the most popular, all-purpose potatoes!
The Side Delights® white potatoes we used in this potato salad recipe were delicious!
Side Delights® offers a variety of products to make meals with your family easier. They have everything from bagged potatoes to convenient products like steamable bags. They also have delicious potato kits that have become some of my favorite ways to add potatoes to our meals!
Learn more about Side Delights® and take advantage of the delicious food that family potato farmers like Kathy Sponheim are growing for our families! I love knowing that there is a family out there working hard to grow great food for my family!
PIN THIS POST