Tuesdays are for tacos! Even if you’re busy with all the things that your family’s life has on the calendar, you can still have delicious tacos at home by making Crockpot Chicken Tacos!
They’re easy to make and your kids can customize their taco toppings to make it a great family-friendly meal option you can enjoy any day of the week! If you have leftover chicken it also works great for other recipes like burritos and enchiladas! Or you can just enjoy the Crockpot taco meat on its own or in a lettuce wrap! It’s so good!
CROCKPOT CHICKEN TACOS
When you make Crock Pot tacos, you get a lot of flexibility. You can make them with different types of meat, but chicken tacos are one of my favorites just because I love chicken made in the slow cooker. It’s always so tender and juicy with tons of flavor! That’s true for these shredded chicken tacos!
I’ve seen a lot of people make the filling for slow cooker chicken tacos with salsa. If you do that you’ll end up with tasty chicken, but I’ve found that I actually like using a combination of taco seasoning and diced tomatoes for a little bit of a pop when it comes to flavor.
Without using salsa, you still have a very simple list of ingredients which makes this one of the easiest ways to make dinner! Here’s to Taco Tuesday!
CROCKPOT CHICKEN TACO RECIPE
Instead of using salsa in our shredded chicken recipe, I use diced tomatoes with chilies. I’ve always liked the flavor and we usually have a can or two in our pantry so it works out well!
To make your own pulled chicken for tacos, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approximately 3/4 pound of chicken or 12 ounces)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chilies
- ¾ cups water
- 12 taco shells
- Taco toppings (shredded lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, onions, cilantro, etc.)
This recipe makes 12 tacos so you can adjust the measurements if you need more tacos than that! If you don’t need 12 tacos, the Crock Pot chicken taco meat is great as leftovers! So don’t worry about having too much!
EQUIPMENT NEEDED TO MAKE SLOW COOKER TACOS
All you really need to make your own chicken tacos is your Crock Pot, but there are a few things that will make it easier! If you like easy cleanup, we always recommend Slow Cooker Liners!
- Crock-Pot 6-Quart Cook & Carry
- Slow Cooker Liners
- Meat Shredding Claws (these are fun but you can just use forks too!)
- Taco Holders (makes it easier for kids to fill their tacos)
HOW TO MAKE SHREDDED CHICKEN TACOS IN CROCK POT
Once you’ve got all of your ingredients, this recipe is really a dump and go recipe. You will have to shred your chicken before serving, but otherwise, you can put everything in the Crock Pot and go do other things you need to do!
If you know how to make Crockpot Shredded Chicken, then you know how to make the chicken you need for slow cooker pulled chicken tacos! You got this!
1. Place chicken breasts in the pot of your Crock Pot.
2. In a large measuring cup, combine taco seasoning and water. Stir to mix then pour over the top of the chicken breasts.
3. Add the can of diced tomatoes with chilies over the top of the chicken and seasoning.
4. Cook chicken on LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 2 hours.
5. Remove the chicken breasts and shred the chicken with a fork. It should pull apart easily.
6. Put the chicken back in the Crock Pot and stir to combine the chicken, seasoning, and tomatoes.
7. Prepare tacos by baking shells according to package instructions (if desired), chopping lettuce and tomatoes, and shredding cheese (if needed).
8. Build tacos by placing shredded chicken in the bottom of the shell, then top with lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese. Add your favorite taco toppings!
Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- Place chicken breasts in the pot of your Crock Pot.
- In a large measuring cup, combine taco seasoning and water. Stir to mix then pour over the top of the chicken breasts.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes with chilies over the top of the chicken and seasoning.
- Cook chicken on LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred the chicken with a fork. It should pull apart easily.
- Put the chicken back in the Crock Pot and stir to combine the chicken, seasoning, and tomatoes.
- Prepare tacos by baking shells according to package instructions (if desired), chopping lettuce and tomatoes, and shredding cheese (if needed).
- Build tacos by placing shredded chicken in the bottom of the shell, then top with lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese. Add your favorite taco toppings!
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomatoes
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- avocado slices
- diced onions
CROCKPOT CHICKEN TACOS FAQ
Can you make Crockpot Chicken Tacos with Rotel?
Absolutely! Rotel is diced tomatoes with chiles so it works perfectly for this recipe!
Can you use salsa instead of diced tomatoes?
You definitely can. Instead of putting a can of diced tomatoes with chiles in with your chicken, substitute a jar of your favorite salsa. You also don’t need the water if you’re using a larger jar of salsa. You should have enough liquid.
Can you make Crockpot Chicken Tacos with cream cheese?
If you like your taco meat to have a creamier sauce, cream cheese is perfect! It’s the magic ingredient in our Crock Pot Cream Cheese Chicken Chili!
For this recipe, you can add about 4 ounces of cream cheese to get a pretty creamy chicken mix. I’ve added a full 8 ounce package before and it worked out, it was just a little rich for our liking. But if you like Crack Chicken recipes, this is an addition you’d probably love for this recipe!
Can you keep taco meat warm in a Crockpot?
Absolutely! Just use the WARM or LOW setting on your slow cooker to keep your taco meat warm until you’re ready to serve.
How much taco meat do you need per person?
I generally plan an ounce of chicken per taco per person. This recipe makes approximately 12 ounces of shredded chicken which fills 12 taco shells well.
COMMENT BELOW AND TELL US ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE TACO TOPPINGS!
If you try this recipe and enjoy it, we’d love for you to leave a rating! All you have to do is click the stars by your comment box to let us know! We love 5 STAR ratings (obviously) and if you have any suggestions, we’d love to hear those too!
MORE EASY CHICKEN CROCKPOT RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE