Earlier this year, we shared some of our favorite field day games as the school year came to an end, but now, back to school season is right around the corner! That first morning back in the routine can be a challenge, so I wanted to create a fun first day of school breakfast that had a little bit of a cute factor to it but that was also easy to make, which is exactly what these apple-themed bagels are! You just might get a smile from your child too, even if they do have to wake up earlier than they had been during the summer!
First Day of School Breakfast
One of my biggest challenges when it comes to school is getting Weston to eat breakfast in the morning. When your kids are picky eaters, you might convince them to have a little bit to eat on the first day of school. Eating could also be the last thing on their mind due to first day nerves.
If you want them to have a happy first day of school, fun little traditions can help you make it happen. The great thing about first day of school traditions is that they can be as complicated or as simple as you want them to be.
Due to the craziness of that first morning, I keep it simple! We have more ideas for first day of school traditions if you’re looking to start one with your kids this year! Our current first day of school tradition is a photo outside of our house in front of the same wall each year.
The apple bagel breakfast is another great first day of school tradition to start because it’s so easy to make!
It’s also a fun for kids because they can help make it and then enjoy it!
You’ll see in the list of ingredients that you need for the green fondant. It’s easy to work with, but you can save a few minutes of prep time by just getting sparkle gel in green as well as in black. Draw on small leaves and go!
These are super easy to make and you could easily make green apples instead of red just by changing up your food coloring! We’ve included some affiliate links for the supplies you might need. Thanks in advance for your support if you shop from them!
Now check out how easy it is to make a fun back to school breakfast!
First Day of School Breakfast Bagel Ingredients
- Plain bagels
- Cream cheese in a container (not the block kind!)
- Green fondant (you can also make it a bit easier by just getting green gel icing to use)
- Black gel icing
- Red gel food coloring
This recipe uses a bit of green fondant to create the leaves on the bagel. If you’re not comfortable using it, you can also use green gel icing to draw on your leaves.
How to Make Edible Apple Craft Bagel
1. Slice each bagel in half and toast, if desired.
2. Mix a few drops of food coloring into the cream cheese container.
3. Spread your red cream cheese on the bagel halves.
4. Roll out a few small pieces of green fondant into very small balls then mold them into leaf shapes. Use a butter knife to indent a leaf pattern into the fondant leaves.
5. Place one fondant leaf on the top of each bagel.
6. Use the black gel icing to draw a stem with a little swirl on the end by each leaf.
7. Serve and have a happy first day of school!
Printable First Day of School Breakfast Recipe
Edible "Apple" Bagel
- 4 Plain bagels
- 1 Spreadable Cream Cheese not the block kind!
- 1 Green fondant you can also make it a bit easier by just getting green gel icing to use
- 1 Black gel icing
- 1 Red gel food coloring
- Slice each bagel in half and toast, if desired.
- Mix a few drops of food coloring into the cream cheese container.
- Spread your red cream cheese on the bagel halves.
- Roll out a few small pieces of green fondant into very small balls then mold them into leaf shapes. Use a butter knife to indent a leaf pattern into the fondant leaves.
- Place one fondant leaf on the top of each bagel.
- Use the black gel icing to draw a stem with a little swirl on the end by each leaf.
- Serve and have a happy first day of school!
Bagels are a great breakfast option for the kids and you can have a lot of fun with them too! This first day of school breakfast idea is just one way to make them fun!
Turn them into pumpkins for Halloween, ornaments for Christmas, or even donuts without having to buy donuts! (White cream cheese with sprinkles or using your icing to draw on sprinkles works great for this!)
First day of school traditions are just one thing we do to get ready to head back to school. Besides a new academic year and baseball practice, fall also brings allergies. Keeping Weston healthy during the first few months of the school year is one of my main priorities. He’s just got so many things going on that he can’t be slowed down by allergies!
So, while I’m stocking up on school supplies, I also make sure we have Children’s Allegra on hand.
Allegra helps me feel more confident about sending Weston off to school. I know that his allergies will be in control throughout the day, so he can focus on the important things.
Children’s Allegra is available in both Oral Suspension Liquid and Orally Disintegrating Tablets.
- Oral Suspension Liquid (4oz and 8oz) – Berry flavored, free of alcohol and dyes and approved for children ages 2 years and older
- Orally Disintegrating Tablets (12ct and 24ct) – Orange cream flavored, dissolves in the mouth without water and is approved for ages 6 years and older
Don’t let allergy symptoms stand in the way of your kids getting a great start to the school year! Let Allegra be one of the items on your back to school shopping list!