It’s trendy but it’s also so delicious! Hot Chocolate Bombs with Marshmallows are so fun to make! They’re cute and taste so good. What more could you want during the holiday season? I love that this recipe is great for making to enjoy or to share as gifts!
Scroll down for the printable recipe card or read on for full directions, tips, and tricks!
HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS WITH MARSHMALLOWS
When the weather gets colder, hot chocolate is my drink of choice. I also like hot apple cider, but it’s a lot easier to get a cup of hot cocoa when I’m out and about. I love it when you find a place that has an amazing cup of hot chocolate. There’s nothing like it.
If you’re a fan of hot chocolate, these bombs are fun to make and to enjoy!
WHAT IS A HOT CHOCOLATE BOMB?
Hot chocolate bombs or hot cocoa bombs are chocolate spheres that are filled with hot chocolate mix and marshmallows. When you put the hot chocolate bomb in your cup and pour hot milk over it, the bomb melts and the marshmallows float to the top and melt into that perfect marshmallowy goodness. It’s magical and that’s why they make great gifts too!
I got myself hooked on these because I can’t turn down anything chocolate. If you’re a fan of chocolate too, S’mores Dip is another comforting chocolate recipe when the weather is colder outside!
HOW TO GET CHOCOLATE OUT OF SILICONE MOLDS WITHOUT BREAKING
If you’re having trouble getting your chocolate out of the silicone mold, you can try using a thin tool like a butter knife to pry the chocolate out. But be VERY careful! You can use a bit of hot water under the mold, but you don’t want to let the chocolate get too melty or the spheres won’t work.
You don’t really need to grease the molds because chocolate has some fat in its makeup. The chocolate does have to be completely hard for them to pop out of the molds cleanly.
HOW TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
This recipe makes about 6 hot cocoa bombs. It only takes about 30 minutes to prepare them and about 4 hours for them to set up completely.
The ingredients you need are very basic and familiar. You don’t need anything fancy to make these bombs!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Instant Cocoa mix packets
- Mini Marshmallows
- White Chocolate Chips
- Hot Milk
Exact measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You’ll also need a round silicone mold to make the round shape of the hot chocolate truffle bombs. You can use a TRUFFLE MOLD or ROUND SILICONE MOLD.
To get started put the semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave them until melted. You want to microwave them in 30-second intervals, making sure you stir them between each interval until they are melted.
Use a spoon to put enough melted chocolate into the silicone mold and use the back of the spoon to spread the chocolate along the sides of the mold. You need to do a thick enough coating to make sure the entire mold is coated with chocolate.
You need two molds for each bomb that you’re going to make.
You will use the rest of the chocolate to seal and decorate the hot chocolate bombs.
Let the chocolate in the molds sit for about 2 to 3 hours until it has set completely. If you put the mold in the refrigerator it can speed up the cooling and hardening process.
Once the chocolate is completely set, remove each one of them from the mold.
Put a small amount of the instant hot chocolate mix in half of the chocolate pieces and top the hot cocoa mix with mini marshmallows.
Reheat the chocolate from earlier in intervals of 15 seconds until it’s melted again.
Dip the edge of an empty chocolate piece into the melted chocolate. Then place it on top of a chocolate piece filled with cocoa mix and press it lightly into place.
Use your finger to smooth more melted chocolate around the seam and seal the bomb. Repeat with the remaining chocolate bombs until they are all sealed.
Put the white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave them in 15-second intervals until they are melted.
Put your remaining melted semi-sweet chocolate into a piping bag (or a zipper bag with the tip cut off). Put the melted white chocolate into a piping bag.
Drizzle both kinds of chocolate over the top of the hot cocoa bombs to decorate them.
Then let the bombs set for about an hour to give the chocolate decorations a chance to cool and set.
When you’re ready to make the hot chocolate bombs into a delicious cup of cocoa, place the hot chocolate bomb in the bottom of a mug. Pour one cup of hot milk over the top of the bomb. The milk will melt the chocolate and the marshmallows will rise to the top. Once the chocolate has melted, use a spoon to stir the milk and chocolate together.
HOW TO PACKAGE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
If you want to gift these to friends for the holidays, you will be pretty popular. I recommend packaging them individually. Depending on the size of your hot chocolate bombs, cupcake holders can work well. BUY THEM HERE.
Set the bomb in a cupcake liner and then place them in the cupcake holders.
Hot Chocolate Bombs with Marshmallows
- Round silicone mold
- 1 12 oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 packet instant cocoa mix
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- 6 cups hot milk (to make the bombs)
- Place the semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals. Stir between each interval until the chocolate chips are fully melted.
- Put a spoonful of melted chocolate inside one cup on the silicone mold and use the back of the spoon to spread the chocolate up the sides of the mold. Continue this process until all the molds are coated. (You need 2 molds for each chocolate bomb.)
- Set the remaining chocolate aside for sealing and decorating the bombs.
- Allow the chocolate to set completely (about 2 to 3 hours). You can speed up the process by placing the chocolate in the refrigerator.
- When the chocolate is set, remove each of the chocolate pieces from the mold. Add a small amount of instant hot cocoa mix to half the pieces and top the hot cocoa mix with marshmallows.
- Reheat the chocolate in 15 second intervals until melted. Pick up an empty chocolate piece and dip the edges into the melted chocolate. Carefully place it on top of a filled piece and lightly press it into place. Use your finger to smooth melted chocolate around the seam. Continue until all the chocolate bombs are sealed.
- Melt the white chocolate chips in 15 second intervals until melted, then place the remaining semi-sweet chocolate and white chocolate in piping bags. Drizzle the chocolate over the top of the bombs to decorate.
- Allow the chocolate decorations to set before using (about 1 hour).
- To make the hot chocolate bombs, place the bomb in the bottom of a mug. Pour one cup of hot milk over the top of the bomb to melt the chocolate. When the chocolate is completely melted, stir to combine.
Michele Pineda says
oh yum! I have never seen or heard of hot chocolate bombs before but we are big hot chocolate fans in the cooler months so this is something we have to try!
Shakeia Rieux says
Those look so good, I have to try it! I wouldn’t have ever thought to make anything like this using hot cocoa mix and marshmallows.