Summer is here and for us, that means we use the grill a lot. There’s just something about hamburgers and hot dogs in the middle of summer that is oh so perfect. While Carrigan loves her hot dog with ketchup and nothing more, I’m a fan of just a little extra something. This hot dog chili recipe is so perfect for making your favorite chili dogs!
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Wonder.
Hot Dog Chili Recipe
Hot dogs are one of Carrigan’s favorite food and her love for them means we’ve started eating them more often. Summer is the perfect time for hot dogs!
Justin mans the grill and we all enjoy the time we spend together in our backyard on warm summer evenings. But when it comes to hot dogs, I want chili cheese dogs every single time. Every single time.
We love to use Wonder Hot Dog and Hamburger buns for our summer meals. There’s just something about them that feels like summer. They’re just summer essentials and have to be part of our summer memories.
This summer Wonder has partnered with the United Services Organization (USO) to honor military men and women. The hot dog and hamburger packages feature stars, stripes, and camo in honor of our heroes!
Wonder is celebrating our nation’s heroes with the “Camo for the Cause” initiative. Wonder will be making a donation of $250,000 by its parent company (Flowers Bakeries, LLC) to support the USO and its efforts!
The “Camo for a Cause” packaging is only available through the end of July, so be sure to pick up some Wonder Classic hot dog and hamburger buns for your next cookout, picnic and other get-togethers!
Then think about trying your hand at making your own hot dog chili!
For the longest time, I just bought hot dog chili at the store and used that to make chili dogs. But most things are better when you make it yourself and homemade hot dog chili is no different! It’s so versatile!
If you didn’t know we’re huge fans of chili in our house! Carrigan also loves Instant Pot Chili Mac so I whip that up pretty often too! But there’s a difference between the chili I make for meals and for chili mac and the type of chili I make for our chili dog recipe.
The main difference is in the beans. In this hot dog chili recipe, there are no beans. Instead, you get a super simple ingredients list that turns into a tasty hot dog sauce you can actually use on hot dogs, hamburgers, french fries, and tater tots (it’s delicious over tater tots with some cheese)!
Hot Dog Chili Recipe Ingredients
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
You’ll also need:
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 package Wonder Hot Dog Buns
- Toppings as desired
- Minced onions
- Corn chips
- French friend onions
How to Make Hot Dog Chili
The key to making really great hot dog sauce is getting your meat really smooth. You don’t want big chunks of ground beef in your chili dog sauce. By putting your meat in some water and then breaking it up until it’s smooth, it will brown up with the consistency that makes for great hot dog chili.
1. Place ground beef in a bowl and cover with water. Allow to sit for a few minutes and then use a spatula to break up the meat.
2. Add ground beef, water, onion, and garlic in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are soft.
3. Add in ketchup, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and stir well.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat and allow to simmer over low heat.
5. Simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until the hot dog chili sauce is your desired consistency.
6. Cook or grill hot dogs and place each hot dog in a Wonder Hot Dog bun.
7. Serve the homemade hot dog chili over hot dogs and top with your favorite toppings.
Printable Hot Dog Chili Sauce Recipe
Hot Dog Chili Sauce
For Hot Dog Chili Sauce
- Place ground beef in a bowl and cover with water. Allow to sit for a few minutes and then use a spatula to break up the meat.
- Add ground beef, water, onion, and garlic in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are soft.
- Add in ketchup, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat and allow to simmer over low heat.
- Simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until the hot dog chili sauce is your desired consistency.
- Cook or grill hot dogs and place each hot dog in a Wonder Hot Dog bun.
- Serve the homemade hot dog chili over hot dogs and top with your favorite toppings.
Remember to look for the exclusive Wonder and USO “Camo for a Cause” packaging through the end of July at your local grocery store. They’re great for making chili dogs! Actually, I think they might be some of the best hot dog buns for making chili dogs! My family agrees!