Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year. I just love the season, but I also love the opportunities to get crafty with the kids. My kids love to get creative so I’m always looking for easy crafts for them to make. This Santa Hat Paint Chip craft is a simple one that is so adorable!
PAINT CHIP SANTA HAT CRAFT
This Santa Hat craft pairs well with our Paint Chip Christmas Tree craft and they can easily be done together. Add string to them and turn them into Christmas tree ornaments. You can even string them together and make a homemade garland!
Besides the paint chips, you probably have most of the materials you need to make your Santa hats. This activity is great for younger kids to practice fine motor skills with the glue stick and cotton balls. I love that the kids can do most of this one independently.
PAINT CHIP SANTA HAT MATERIALS
- Red paint chips (available at your local hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.)
- Glue stick (You can also use white glue. If you let the younger kids use white glue, I suggest having them dip a cotton swab in it to paint glue on the paint chip.)
- Cotton balls
Next time you’re at the hardware store, pick up some of the paper paint chip samples so you’re ready to make this craft in December. I like the paint chips that have a couple of shades of red on them. They give you a good length of paper to work with when you’re cutting them into triangles.
You can also use green colored paint chips (or your favorite colors) and call them Elf Hats for more crafting fun with a Christmas theme!
HOW TO MAKE PAINT CHIP SANTA HAT
This is a very simple craft that has a great cute factor for the holidays!
1. Use the scissors to cut each paint chip into a triangle shape. Older kids can probably do this themselves. For younger kids, I recommend an adult cutting the paint chips. Or you can use a marker and draw lines for them to cut on their own.
2. Put glue at the top of the triangle and stick on one cotton ball to be the top of Santa’s hat.
3. Then glue 4-5 cotton balls to the bottom edge of the triangle to finish off the hat!
4. Repeat to make as many hats as you’d like to make!
Santa Hat Paint Chip Craft
- Red paint chips
- Glue stick
- Cotton balls
- Use the scissors to cut each paint chip into a triangle shape.
- Put glue at the top of the triangle and stick on one cotton ball to be the top of Santa’s hat.
- Then glue 4-5 cotton balls to the bottom edge of the triangle to finish off the hat!
- Repeat to make as many hats as you’d like to make!
If you’re looking for a cute homemade gift idea, toddlers and preschoolers can make Santa hats almost completely independently so they make great gift ideas that don’t cost a lot of money and come from the heart!
They’re also a great way to keep the kids busy while they’re on winter break from school!
MORE SANTA CRAFTS FOR KIDS
PIN THIS POST