Break out the air fryer and make these easy pumpkin hand pies for a taste of homemade this fall.
Honestly, I’m not the biggest fan of pumpkin spice, but can respect everyone who adores it. One thing that will get me every time is pumpkin pie. It’s just a classic for me. Making these air fryer hand pies is a simple way to get the taste of pumpkin pie in individual servings.
Scroll down for the printable recipe card or read on for detailed directions and tips!
PUMPKIN HAND PIES
This recipe makes about 10 mini pumpkin hand pies and can be made in about an hour. If you need a last-minute fall or holiday treat, they’re the perfect recipe to have on hand.
While the filling for these pies is what I consider homemade, have no fear! You won’t be scraping anything out of a pumpkin. It’s not quite that homemade. You also won’t be making your own pie dough. Using pumpkin puree and premade pie dough are two ways to make this homemade recipe an easy one to make.
AIR FRYER HAND PIES
The great thing about this recipe is that it can be used to make a variety of pies in your air fryer. You can swap out the filling and make apple hand pies, cherry pies, or even go savory and do taco hand pies.
You follow the same basic steps and cook time, just with a filling swap!
Oh, and if you love to make your own pie dough, feel free to do it! They will probably be even more delicious!
HOW TO MAKE FRIED PIES IN THE AIR FRYER
As I mentioned before, this recipe takes just under an hour to make and makes 10 hand pies.
I do have one warning for you before you start making these mini pies. Making pumpkin pie in air fryer is so easy and so delicious that you might find yourself doing it more often than planned! These are always a hit at our Thanksgiving meal!
To make fried pumpkin pie, you’ll need:
- Premade pie dough
- Pumpkin puree
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
Then to make the glaze to go on top, you’ll need:
- Powdered sugar
Exact measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
To get started, set the pie dough out so it can warm up to room temperature.
While it warms up, whisk together the sugar and egg in a large bowl until they are smooth.
Then add the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, vanilla, and pumpkin spice to the bowl. Whisk the ingredients together until they are well blended.
Unroll the pie dough and use a round cookie cutter (about 3 inches) to cut out 20 circles.
You can make different shaped hand pies by using different cookie cutters. Just make sure the shape is large enough to hold the filling and have the edges sealed.
Lay ten pie dough circles out on a flat surface.
Spoon pumpkin pie filling into the center of each circle. You want to make sure you leave enough room around the edge to seal it so be sure to leave about 1/3 -1/2 inch of dough.
Dip your finger in water and run it around the edge of each pie dough circle. Then place the remaining circles on top of the first set.
Press a fork around the edge of each circle to seal the pie.
Place three to four pies in the air fryer basket. The size of your air fryer basket will determine how many pies you can cook at one time.
Cook the pies at 360 degrees for 14 to 16 minutes. Flip the pies over halfway through the cooking time.
Cook the remaining pies in batches until they’re all fried.
Once the pies are cooked, whisk together the powdered sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and 1 Tablespoon of milk until smooth to make the glaze. If you need to thin the glaze, add additional milk slowly.
Drizzle the glaze over the hand pies and allow to set before serving.
Pumpkin Hand Pies
- Air Fryer
For pumpkin hand pie:
- 1 package premade pie dough
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
For the cinnamon glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- Set out the pie dough and allow it to come to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg until smooth.
- Add the pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk until well blended.
- Unroll the pie dough and use a 3-inch round cookie cutter to cut out 20 circles.
- Place 10 of the pie dough circles on a flat surface.
- Spoon a small amount of pumpkin mixture into the center of each pie circle. Leave ⅓-½ inch of dough around the edges
- Dip your finger in water and run it around the edge of each pie dough circle.
- Place the remaining 10 circles on top of the pumpkin mixture.
- Use a fork to seal the pumpkin pies by pressing the fork around the edge of each circle.
- Place three to four pies in the basket of the air fryer. Make sure the pies don’t touch so the air can circulate.
- Cook the pies at 360°F for 14-16 minutes. Turn the pies halfway through the cook time. Continue cooking in batches until all the pies are cooked.
- When the pies are finished cooking, whisk together the powdered sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon of milk. If you need to thin the glaze, add additional milk slowly until you get the desired consistency,.
- Drizzle the glaze over the top of each pie. Allow the glaze to set before serving.
- Use your favorite pie filling to make different flavors of easy hand pies.
- You can make different shapes by using different cookie cutters. Or roll the dough out and use a pizza cutter to make rectangle or square pies.
- If you want a crescent-shaped hand pie, use one dough circle. Fill it with pumpkin filling and then fold it over before sealing the edges.
- These are perfect for parties! Use a smaller cookie cutter to make more bite-sized portions. Just watch your cook time so they don't burn!