There are some desserts that are favorites in my house. Brownies are one of them and banana pudding is another. So it only made sense to try making Banana Pudding Brownies to see how they went over in my house!
This twist on classic brownies introduces the comforting flavors of banana pudding was a huge hit!
Scroll down for a printable recipe card or continue reading for more details on making this delicious dessert!
Banana Pudding Brownies
The great thing about these brownies is that they offer a unique take on a favorite dessert. That makes them great for entertaining or just for your family as a weekend dessert!
You can also call this a banana pudding blondie recipe because it uses a yellow cake mix as a base. If you want chocolate brownies, you could also try it with a chocolate cake mix base too.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and Easy: Banana pudding brownies are easy to make with the help of cake mix and banana pudding mix.
- Family-Friendly: This dessert idea is perfect for home baking and delights all ages. It’s an easy recipe to make with your kids!
- New but Familiar: This dessert brings the texture of brownies while offering the familiar flavor of banana pudding. It combines two things that many people love.
Gather your ingredients for this delightful banana pudding brownie recipe. You’ll need:
- Banana instant pudding mix: The banana pudding is what brings the banana flavor to these brownies. If you don’t want to make banana brownies, you can also substitute vanilla pudding mix.
- Milk: For richness in the pudding, whole milk is preferred, but you can use 2% or skim if you like a lighter texture.
- Yellow cake mix: This creates the brownie’s base where you would usually use brownie mix. For a homemade touch, you can swap this out for a blend of flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt or your favorite homemade cake mix recipe.
- Bananas: The fresher the bananas, the better the flavor though you want to avoid bananas that are not ripe yet. Overripe bananas are perfect in sweetness and easy to incorporate.
- Vanilla wafers: Vanilla wafers add a crunchy topping that rounds out the banana pudding vibe of the brownies. If vanilla isn’t a favorite, graham crackers could be used instead.
The full measurements for all of the ingredients can be found in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
You will also need a few items of kitchen equipment, including:
This recipe makes 12 servings. It takes 10 minutes to prepare and 30 to 35 minutes to bake.
1. Preheat the oven to 350℉ and grease a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk together the instant pudding and milk in a large bowl until the pudding is dissolved.
3. Add the cake mix to the banana pudding mixture and stir until well combined. You can also use a hand mixer to mix these ingredients.
4. Fold the banana slices into the brownie batter.
5. Transfer the brownie mixture to the greased baking dish
6. Chop the vanilla wafer cookies and evenly sprinkle them over the top of the brownies.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. Allow the brownies to cool completely in the pan before slicing and serving.
Tips & Tricks
- You do not need to follow the directions on the back of the cake mix box. Do not add additional milk or oil otherwise, you’ll get more of a cake texture.
- If you cannot find banana pudding mix, you can also use vanilla instant pudding mix and add banana extract or flavoring.
- Wait until the brownies have fully cooled to slice them. Use a sharp, smooth-edged knife, wiping it clean between each cut.
Leftovers & Storage
You can store leftover brownies in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator. If you store them in the refrigerator they will last 4 to 5 days.
You can also freeze these brownies for up to 3 months. Make sure you store them in a freezer-safe container or zipper bag.
The best thing about this recipe is how easy it is to tweak it and change it up. The basic recipe is so easy to make and that makes it easy to customize!
- Try using banana cake mix for an extra punch of banana in these blondies.
- Try using a chocolate cake mix for a banana chocolate version.
- You can add chocolate chips to this recipe for just a hint of the banana-chocolate flavor combination.
- Topping the brownies with a caramel swirl or drizzle of chocolate sauce adds extra indulgence.
- Try different pudding flavors to see how it changes — vanilla and cheesecake are two good ones to try.
- You can also add chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans to the mixture before you bake or add them to the vanilla wafer topping.
- Sprinkle in a bit of cinnamon or nutmeg in the mixture to add warmth to the flavor.
- You can also top these brownies with an easy cream cheese frosting. Beat 8 ounces of softened cream cheese with 1/2 cup of softened butter, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, and 4 cups of confectioners’ sugar. Beat until smooth and then top the brownies with the cream cheese mixture.
More Cake Mix Dessert Recipes
If you’re looking for more baking recipes that use cake mix to make things easier in the kitchen, try one of these:
Banana Pudding Brownies
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 Whisk
- 1 3.9 ounce box instant banana pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 1 15.25 ounce package yellow cake mix
- 2 medium bananas (thinly sliced)
- 2 cups vanilla wafer cookies (roughly chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and grease a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the instant pudding and milk in a large bowl until the pudding is dissolved.
- Add the cake mix and stir until well combined.
- Fold in the bananas.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and top with chopped cookies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.