As soon as I see the first Christmas commercial on television, my mind is ready for the holiday season! One of the first things I always want to make is this easy Christmas Crack recipe. You might know it as Saltine Toffee Candy but we just call it Christmas Crack!
Why Christmas crack? Two reasons.
1. It’s SO easy to make. You know I like easy. It only takes 15-20 minutes to make. (Of course, you need to let it cool but in less than an hour you can be enjoying it!)
2. It’s DELICIOUS! It has the perfect sweet and salty taste combo.
So get ready to make this because Christmas is coming and you know everyone will be wanting sweet treats!
If you love chocolate, peanuts, and your Crockpot, check out our Crockpot Candy Crack recipe too!
CHRISTMAS CRACK RECIPE
If you’re looking for something easy to take to a holiday party or even to a cookie exchange (yes, I’ve done it and no one complained), then this Christmas candy crack is a safe bet.
You can make a lot of it in a short amount of time and it’s always a hit!
Plus, if you want to get creative, you can even change it up a bit. Start with the basic saltine toffee crack recipe here and then make a few changes like:
- Ritz crackers with milk chocolate and nuts
- Graham crackers with white chocolate and sprinkles
- Pretzel chips with white chocolate and crushed peppermints
But make sure you always make at least one traditional batch of this mock toffee recipe because it’s a classic!
HOW TO MAKE CHRISTMAS CRACK
You can scroll down to get a printable recipe for this easy recipe. But I promise it’s super simple to make!
You’ll need a few basic ingredients besides your Saltine crackers and chocolate. So be sure to see if you have brown sugar and butter before you head out to the store.
You’ll also need semi-sweet chocolate chips, Jet-Puffed marshmallow bits (or substitute mini marshmallows), red and green M&M baking chips (you can also use mini candies), and some Christmas themed sprinkles!
Once you have all your ingredients, there are just a few steps to delicious holiday crack!
CHRISTMAS TOFFEE RECIPE
Check out how easy this recipe is to make! Here’s what you do!
Heat the oven and line a jelly roll pan with foil. Then fill the pan with crackers. Don’t overlap them!
You’ll add the brown sugar and butter to a pan and heat until it begins to boil. Let it boil for 2-3 minutes until it’s a nice golden color. Then take it off the heat and pour over the crackers. (It doesn’t have to be perfect, just get the crackers covered!)
Pop the pan into the oven for 5 minutes and then pull it out and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. YES! There’s no need to melt your chocolate beforehand! How awesome is that?
Put the pan back into the oven for 4-5 more minutes or until the chocolate chips have melted. Then you can use a spatula to spread it a bit more smoothly if you like.
Top it with the mini marshmallows, candies, and sprinkles for a festive look! Then put it in the refrigerator to cool and harden. Once it’s cooled, cut or break into pieces and then try not to eat all of it! (Good luck!)
- 24 Saltine crackers
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter
- 11 oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Jet-Puffed mallow bits
- 1/2 cup red and green M&M baking chips
- Christmas sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan with aluminum foil.
- Fill the entire bottom of the pan with crackers, placing them side by side but not overlapping. Set aside.
- Add the brown sugar and butter to a medium saucepan. Place on medium heat, stirring continually until the butter melts, until a low boil begins. Boil for 2-3 minutes.**
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for one minute. Pour over the top of the crackers.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the crackers. Return to oven and bake for an additional 4-5 minutes or until the chocolate chips have melted.
- Immediately sprinkle with the mini marshmallow bits, M&M candies and sprinkles.
- Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow the chocolate to cool and harden.
- Before serving, cut or break into squares.
CHRISTMAS CRACK FAQs
Can I leave out the marshmallows, candy, and sprinkles?
Absolutely! You can top your Christmas crack toffee with anything you’d like! During the holidays nuts are popular, so are crushed peppermints! Or you can just roll with the chocolate on top!
This recipe is as flexible as making a Christmas bark candy recipe. You can add things as you like! It’s just almost like a candy bark with saltines actually!
Can this recipe be doubled?
It can easily be doubled if you have an event with a lot of people or you’re looking to make some homemade Christmas gifts. All you have to do is double the ingredients list and use two pans instead of one.
How long does Christmas Crack stay fresh?
If you store your toffee in an airtight container, it should stay fresh for 1-2 weeks. We’ve never had it last that long though! We eat it all WAY before then!
Can I make Ritz Cracker Candy or Graham Cracker Toffee with this recipe?
The great thing about this recipe is that you can tweak it to get some variation!
I would try white chocolate chips with graham crackers! And I love Ritz crackers with chocolate so that would be a tasty twist on the traditional saltines Christmas Crack recipe!
I’ve actually been pondering if pita chips might work for a different take on this, but I’ll probably stick to my classic Christmas Crack because I’m hooked!
Comment and tell me if you’ve tried Christmas Crack. What’s another one of your favorite holiday treats to make or enjoy?