Summertime is here and one thing I enjoy about summer is the food. I love pretty much anything that comes off the grill and I can’t forget all of the delicious side dishes! One of my favorite summer ingredients is corn. I love corn on the cobb, corn dips, salads with corn, and pretty much any corn side dish. Creamy Corn Salad is a simple recipe that is perfect for any meal!
Scroll down to get the easy recipe or read on for details on how to make this cold corn salad and some of my tips and tricks!
CREAMY CORN SALAD RECIPE
There are tons of different ways to make an easy corn salad. It all depends on that flavor profile you’re looking for and sometimes it depends on what you have in your pantry if you’re looking for something to throw together last minute!
This corn salad side dish falls into the category of easy to make if you need a last-minute side dish!
You probably have almost everything you need in your kitchen to make it! It’s a frozen or canned corn salad with mayo and sour cream. Adding some fresh chopped peppers and cheese tops it off.
The prep time is minimal and then you can put it in the refrigerator to chill until you’re ready to enjoy this sweet corn salad recipe!
HOW TO MAKE CORN SALAD
The corn salad ingredients are pretty basic, you’ll need frozen corn (you can also use canned corn), a red and green bell pepper, green onions, sour cream, mayo, garlic powder, cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper.
To prep the recipe you’ll need to cook the frozen corn and dice the bell peppers. From there, it’s a simple recipe to toss together and stick in the refrigerator. When the rest of the food is ready, you’ll have a tasty cold corn salad to serve on the side!
HOW TO COOK FROZEN CORN
When you’re making corn salad with frozen corn, you will need to cook the corn first. You can follow the directions on the corn packaging for boiling or microwaving the corn. If you want a bit of extra flavor, try my favorite way to cook frozen corn. It works great for this recipe.
- Pour the frozen corn into a colander and rinse with water. You want to make sure there are no ice crystals left on the corn kernels.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Once the skillet has heated, add some butter and let it warm up.
- Once the butter is hot, add the drained corn to the pan.
- Stir the corn for 4-5 minutes or until it is tender. You want to stir it frequently so it doesn’t burn.
- Drain the corn on a paper towel or in the colander to remove excess butter.
- Allow the corn to cool before adding to this creamy corn salad recipe.
You can prep your frozen corn while dicing the bell peppers used in this recipe and your prep will be done in 10-15 minutes!
EASY COLD CORN SALAD RECIPE
After you have cooked your corn and diced your bell peppers, get out a large bowl.
Combine the cooked corn, red and green bell peppers, and green onions in the bowl. Save some of the green onions to garnish with at the end.
Add the sour cream and mayo then season with the garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Top with the shredded cheese.
Stir well to combine the ingredients.
Then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.
Garnish with green onions and serve with your favorite meal!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CORN SALAD
Corn salads are perfect summer side dishes.
They go great with hamburger, steaks, and grilled chicken. In fact, we enjoy it with pretty much anything that comes off the grill! I’m looking forward to having it with pork chops this summer!
HOW LONG DOES CORN SALAD LAST IN FRIDGE?
You can store creamy corn salad for up to three days in the refrigerator as long as it’s stored in a cover, air-tight container.
CAN I MAKE CORN SALAD WITH BACON?
I’ve gotten a lot of questions about adding bacon to this cold corn salad recipe.
The answer is — you can add bacon!
You can add crumbled bacon to the salad as you mix all of your ingredients together. It’s also great as a topping/garnish on the finished salad!
Creamy Corn Salad
- 2 packages frozen corn (cooked and cooled)
- 1 small red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 small green bell pepper (diced)
- ¼ cup green onions (chopped)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked corn, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and green onions (reserve some for garnish). (*See notes below on recommended cooking method for frozen corn or follow directions on packaging.)
- Add the sour cream and mayonnaise and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Stir to combine all ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour before serving. Garnish with green onions, if desired.
- Dump frozen corn in a colander and rinse to make sure there is no ice on the corn.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat and add a bit of butter.
- Once the butter is hot, add the corn and stir frequently so it doesn't burn.
- Stir the corn until it is tender (generally 4-5 minutes).
- Drain corn to remove excess butter and allow to cool before adding to the creamy corn
- salad recipe.