Whether you’re thinking holiday meals like Thanksgiving or Christmas or you’re planning your next summer cookout, corn side dishes are always the answer! They’re so easy to make and always a hit. This Sweet Corn Salad recipe is perfect for any gathering! It’s the best corn salad recipe because it’s a simple make ahead corn salad that you can even store in the refrigerator for a few days!
Scroll down for the printable recipe card or read on for the full recipe along with tips and tricks!
SWEET CORN SALAD RECIPE
This sweet corn salad is one of my favorite side dishes. It has delicious bacon and ranch flavors that have earned it the title of crack corn salad because once you try it, it’ll be hard to resist! You’ll be hooked!
If you need a quick side dish, this bacon corn recipe is perfect. Whether you’re making corn salad for a crowd, need cookout side dish recipes, or want something new to go with dinner this week, you can prep this one in 15-20 minutes and then pop it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat it!
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO COOK FROZEN CORN?
There are a few different ways to cook frozen corn for this recipe. For this recipe, I boiled the corn on the stovetop before adding it to the recipe so the timing on the recipe is based on that cook time.
Depending on the cooking method you choose (or if you opt for canned corn), your prep time may vary.
- Boiling – Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add corn and let cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir it so the corn doesn’t stick to the pot. Check a kernel after 3-4 minutes to see if it’s tender. Drain the corn and let cool.
- Steam on the Stovetop – You need a steamer to use this method. Put about 1 inch of water in the bottom of the steamer and bring it to a boil. Rinse the frozen corn under water and then put it in the steaming basket and salt. Place the basket into the steamer and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the corn is tender. Allow to cool.
- Steam in the Microwave – Put the frozen corn in a microwave-safe bowl and salt. Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes (time is dependent on the strength of your microwave). Stir the corn and heat for an additional 1-2 minutes. Repeat until corn is heated thoroughly.
- Saute – Heat a pan with 1 tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the frozen corn. Stir the corn frequently so it doesn’t burn. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until tender, stirring often so it doesn’t burn. Place cooked corn on a paper towel so oil can drain off. Allow to cool.
DO YOU HAVE TO COOK FROZEN CORN FOR SALAD?
You really do need to cook your frozen corn before eating it or using it in a recipe. While you can eat some frozen vegetables without cooking them, I highly recommend cooking them so you know they’re safe to eat.
CAN I USE CANNED CORN INSTEAD OF FROZEN?
ABSOLUTELY! In fact, using canned corn makes this easy corn salad recipe even easier to make! If you want to use canned corn, just make sure to use the same amount as called for in the recipe.
I recommend draining and rinsing the canned corn in a colander. Then you can add it directly to the recipe. No heating required! If you use canned corn, you’ll save time prepping your sweet corn salad by skipping the time needed to cook the frozen corn.
HOW LONG DOES CORN SALAD LAST IN THE FRIDGE?
You can store the leftover corn salad in the airtight covered container for up to three days in the refrigerator.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CORN SALAD?
Sweet corn salad is a perfect cookout side dish but also works well for big meals like Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I’ve even made it as a game day side dish!
HOW TO MAKE SWEET CORN SALAD
To make this ranch corn salad recipe, you’ll need some familiar ingredients. There’s nothing exotic on this list, I promise! Most importantly you need corn and bacon. Anything with corn and bacon is worth making, right?
- Frozen corn
- Ranch dressing
- Shredded Cheese
- Green onions, if desired
- Salt & Pepper
To prep to make sweet corn salad, cook your frozen cool and allow it to cool.
Then cook your bacon and chop it up.
Combine the corn, bacon, and green onions in a large bowl.
Then add the shredded cheese and ranch dressing.
Stir to mix all of the ingredients together. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir again.
Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
Garnish with green onions, if desired, and serve!
Sweet Corn Salad
- 2 12 oz Packages frozen sweet corn (cooked and cooled)
- 6 slices Bacon (cooked and chopped)
- ¼ cup Green onions (chopped)
- ½ cup Ranch dressing
- 1 cup Shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Cook and cool the frozen corn.
- Cook and chopped the bacon slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, bacon, and green onions.
- Add the ranch dressing and shredded cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Cover and chill for at least one hour before serving.