Slow cooker mashed potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes. This recipe for Crock Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes with cheddar cheese ups the game on mashed potatoes while keeping them so easy to make!
The pop of flavor makes them a great addition to any weeknight dinner but also to holiday meals. Try it with your Thanksgiving turkey for mashed potatoes your family will love!
CROCK POT GARLIC MASHED POTATOES
The great thing about mashed potatoes is that they pair so well with pretty much every main dish. Meat and potatoes? Of course! Chicken and potatoes? Count me in. Turkey and mashed potatoes? Well that’s a classic that’s my favorite once the weather cools off in fall and into winter.
These cheesy mashed potatoes are one of my favorite holiday side dishes. If you’re looking for some other slow cooker potatoes to make, you should try our Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes too!
The thing about mashed potatoes is that they can seem like a lot of work. I think I always felt that way because it seemed to take so long for the potatoes to boil. The Crockpot takes care of that for you! This is a no-boil mashed potatoes recipe! And yes, it’s okay to cheer about that.
CROCKPOT MASHED POTATOES INGREDIENTS
For this version of slow cooker mashed potatoes, you need garlic and cheddar cheese but you can leave those out and go for a more traditional version of Crockpot Mashed Potatoes.
Here is what you need to make your potatoes:
- 2.5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into one-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ to ¾ cup heavy cream, warmed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
There are a few more pieces of kitchen equipment that make this recipe easier. Here are some affiliate links to products we like:
- 6 Quart Crock Pot
- Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Multipurpose Chef Knife
If you want your clean up to be super easy, I highly recommend using Slow Cooker Liners! It’s the key to cleaning up in minutes!
HOW TO MAKE GARLIC MASHED POTATOES
Makes 6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
1. Put the potatoes in the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
2. Pour chicken broth over the potatoes and stir to cover the potatoes.
3. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for four hours on HIGH.
4. When the potatoes are tender, add the butter and stir together until it’s completely melted.
5. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes then stir to combine the potatoes and broth.
6. Using a hand mixer, slowly add the warm heavy cream to the potatoes. Continue adding cream until the potatoes are smooth and creamy.
7. Finally, add the cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted into the potatoes.
If you don’t have Yukon gold potatoes, you can also use red or white potatoes. They all give great flavor to this recipe. If you prefer, you can use milk instead of heavy cream to lighten the mashed potatoes a bit.
If you’re planning to use this recipe as one of your Thanksgiving or Christmas side dishes, it works great when you’re dealing with timing on all of your food. If you’re not ready to serve your potatoes, just set the Crockpot to the warm setting and they will be waiting for you when the turkey is ready!
Crock Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Cheddar Cheese
- Put the potatoes in the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour chicken broth over the potatoes and stir to cover the potatoes.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for four hours on HIGH.
- When the potatoes are tender, add the butter and stir together until it’s completely melted.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes then stir to combine the potatoes and broth.
- Using a hand mixer, slowly add the warm heavy cream to the potatoes. Continue adding cream until the potatoes are smooth and creamy.
- Finally, add the cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted into the potatoes.
Get a start planning your holiday menu with Crockpot Mashed Potatoes and then check out more of our favorite side dish recipes!
MORE SIDE DISH RECIPES
PIN THIS POST